Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have a small problem, I can smeel oil as i drive down the road. Now I know that my valve cover leaks some and need to replace that, so I am looking at the top side of the engine and see minor oil residue,nothing fresh but there. So I go to the underside and look up toward the bottom side of the of the exhaust manifold, and I see oil. Nice and fresh, I don't see any oil above the intake manifold, so i dont really know where the oil is comming from. Anybody have any insight on as to where it could be comming from? I will try and get a few pics up soon, just wanted to get this question out there. Many thanks to all.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
If it is up higher on the block then it still could be from the valve cover. The reason you smell it is because it is burning on the exhaust manifold making the oil left up top burnt. I'm not ruling out the possibility of other leaks, but the valve cover gasket is cheap and easy. I'd start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
At a Auto psrts store get a can on engine sealer add to the oil it worked for me..follow the instructions on the can...

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I have never been a fan of those stop leak products. They do not fix problems they just work around them, sometimes doing more harm than good. Just put the valve cover gasket on it. Be extremely careful with the POS plastic valve cover. I broke mine and upgraded to a nice aluminum one for $115. Mada a cheap oil leak fix turn a bit expensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the advice. I made a trip to parts store, 12 bucks for gasket. Took about 4 hours. And as of right now I have no leaks. but onlytime will tell, I was lucky the guy before me must have broken or just upgraded to a metal one. I have never been a fan of the easy fix cans or bottles, butwould use if i was stuck some place. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts