Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep has 13k miles on it. I just recently installed poison spider diff covers and on my front axle maybe a week later I have a dribble of oil coming out. It’s pooling on the knuckle but seems to have stopped as it didn’t leak on the way home from work. Could I have possibly just overfilled the diff? Is this now a fix that needs to be made or am I ok?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
overfilled diff shouldn't matter if the seal is good all the way around. Check the breather to make sure it isn't clogged. High pressure from a clogged breather can cause oil to leak around the seal. Clean it up and monitor. If it isn't leaking any more, you should be good. If it continues to leak, it should be a warranty issue, The seals are a PITA to change, so definitely let them do the warranty work if it comes to that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
overfilled diff shouldn't matter if the seal is good all the way around. Check the breather to make sure it isn't clogged. High pressure from a clogged breather can cause oil to leak around the seal. Clean it up and monitor. If it isn't leaking any more, you should be good. If it continues to leak, it should be a warranty issue, The seals are a PITA to change, so definitely let them do the warranty work if it comes to that.
Thanks, where is the breather tube? Where does it lead to?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Breather hose doesn’t looked clogged although I only inspected the tip. The Jeep hasn’t leaked on flat ground since I iniatilly cleaned the oil a few hours ago. Diff fluid seems to be filled properly and I’m not sure if it’s important but the Jeep was parked on a sideways incline when the first leak started.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Did you perhaps change to synthetic gear oil when you refilled the Diff? Synthetic will leak where traditional may not have.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you perhaps change to synthetic gear oil when you refilled the Diff? Synthetic will leak where traditional may not have.
I did change to synthetic. Why would synthetic leak? Am I not supposed to use synthetic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts