Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

I have a quick question. I changed the oil on my 02 Wrangler X last week and I may have put a little too much back in it. I checked the level a few times afterwards and you know how there are two holes in the dipstick (one tells you to add and the other says safe). The oil level was slightly above that 2nd hole, maybe like 0.25 of an inch (the safe one). My oil pressure gauge has been running about 50 psi.

Do you think I should drain a little out to be between the holes on the dipstick or just wait until the next oil change? I have read that too much oil can damage the engine but I didn't know if this would be an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put in there 5.5 total quarts. I checked the dipstick this morning and it's about 0.25-0.5 inches above the "safe" hole.

You think I should drain a little out? Is that oil pressure too high for the engine?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I drained about 1/2 quart out just now and the dipstick is just below the 2nd hole. Is this OK or should I drain more? The line that says "safe" is below this hole.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Weird that it was reading that much over when you only put 5.5 quarts in. TJ's hold 6.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you change your oil filter. If not your starting off with almost a quart of oil before you added 5.5 quarts.

Frank

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it was weird. I drained the oil and changed the filter and added back a 4.73L jug of Mobil 1. When I checked the dipstick, it was well over the safe line. I drained some out but it is still a little over that line. The oil pressure goes from 40 (middle of gauge) to about 50-52 when you are accelerating or the engine running at high RPMs.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
74 Posts
AggieChris, I want to say that too much oil will not increase your oil pressure. so if your pressure is high there could be another problem. The pressures you mentioned are not out of line. Do you always use Mobil 1 or is this the first time?

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts