Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if there is a way to find out how much oil life i have left?

i am a newbie and dont know if the onboard computer will tell me how much
oil life i have left before i need to do a oil change? i just got the jeep and
even though the dealer said its been serviced i dont know if the oil and
filter have been changed? so i would really like to know how much oil life
i have left before my next oil change. thanks for your help. :blackeye:blackeye

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts

Menu button : Press Six(6) times
Vehicle info - Press arrow Down
Second "field" will be Oil Life remaining expressed in %
That said, IF the dealer didn't Reset then the Duty Cycles which is what that % is calculated from will not be of any use. It's of little use as it is.

Spend the $25-$30 and have peace of mind and know - It was done. done right and When it was done.

Then stick with an interval and oil/filter that works for you while staying equal to or better than the recommended.
I like every 5k along with 5 tire rotation. Mopar filter and Pennzoil Ultra platinum Full Synthetic (from natural gas)

·
Registered
330 Posts
^ Unless you have the basic dash which won't tell you. My oil life minder routinely goes 15k miles, so be wary of the information.

·
Registered
54 Posts

i have left before my next oil change. thanks for your help.
Menu button : Press Six(6) times
Vehicle info - Press arrow Down
Second "field" will be Oil Life remaining expressed in %
That said, IF the dealer didn't Reset then the Duty Cycles which is what that % is calculated from will not be of any use. It's of little use as it is.

Spend the $25-$30 and have peace of mind and know - It was done. done right and When it was done.

Then stick with an interval and oil/filter that works for you while staying equal to or better than the recommended.
I like every 5k along with 5 tire rotation. Mopar filter and Pennzoil Ultra platinum Full Synthetic (from natural gas)
Will all jks have the oil life %? Even base model sports? I haven't found this feature on my 2012 jku sport (manual everything).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Pull the dipstick and see if oil is clean. If not, just go spend the $40 to get it changed.

I do mine every 5k miles, but the dealer says it can go up to 10k. For a non synthetic oil that the dealer uses, 5k is enough for me.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
My answer was predicated on the statement the Op made about having an "onboard computer" which I read as he has the evic but was wondering how to navigate the less than obvious screen advances.

No. Not ALL Jeeps will have the evic in which case my second part of my answer applies even more so.
Change oil/filter and keep notes in the glove box. I like 5k miles and stick to my odometer as my Master.
I'm currently at 40,900 so, 4,100 to go :)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If it's recently purchase, personally, I'd change the oil right off the bat.

I regularly change my oil about every 4k miles and usually rotate my tires at that time as well.

However, I have a base model (only package was PW, Heated Mirrors, and PL), so fancy cluster information isn't available to me (it does read out every now and then to change oil, but I do it before then).

·
Registered
115 Posts
oil life

welcome Frankie.
yeah, RubiconSS answered your question thoroughly. Hey if you have the printed owners manual, like for my 2016 model ( Rubicon ) the details are on Page 348-349. Yes I remember the pages, I had to look it up. I marked it with a post-it note !
Page 348-349 and your good to go, you have to do dance with the accelerator pedal turn the key, make a wish, throw salt over your shoulder and sprinkle dirt on the front bumper:). ( just kiddin)
It just couldn't be a reset button on the dash.
Anyhoo, hope that helps, also !
best regards

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
welcome Frankie.
yeah, RubiconSS answered your question thoroughly. Hey if you have the printed owners manual, like for my 2016 model ( Rubicon ) the details are on Page 348-349. Yes I remember the pages, I had to look it up. I marked it with a post-it note !
Page 348-349 and your good to go, you have to do dance with the accelerator pedal turn the key, make a wish, throw salt over your shoulder and sprinkle dirt on the front bumper:). ( just kiddin)
It just couldn't be a reset button on the dash.
Anyhoo, hope that helps, also !
best regards
:lmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts