Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, dumb question.

My jku is often a weekend car and for a 17 model only has about 2K on it. Curious about engine oil replacement schedule. The manuel says once a year minimum. But mechanic states every 6 months. I use full synththic so im just wondering. If its perhaps a month late would it possible void the lifetime warranty i purchased? Just trying to keep it as long as i can. Thank you all.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hey guys, dumb question.

My jku is often a weekend car and for a 17 model only has about 2K on it. Curious about engine oil replacement schedule. The manuel says once a year minimum. But mechanic states every 6 months. I use full synththic so im just wondering. If its perhaps a month late would it possible void the lifetime warranty i purchased? Just trying to keep it as long as i can. Thank you all.
IMO Once a year for synthetic is more than ok.
If you drive/start the motor every week - oil is circulating through the motor you wont have any issues.
I would change it before 12 months not to have any issues with the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Once a year will be fine. In fact oil doesn't know how long it is in the sump, once out of warranty you could run the oil even longer. I have gone 2 years or more in my van with UOA showing the oil was still good. Many other people I know have done the same w/o issues.

Just make sure you get your Jeep up to full operating temperature once in a while, long enough to burn off any condensation or excess fuel in the oil. That takes about 30 minutes or so, once or twice a month should be fine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One thing I'll add to this - starting and running the car briefly can actually be WORSE than just letting it sit. The reason is that upon start-up and warming, a lot of condensation is formed. IF you don't bring it up to full operating temp (including the exhaust system) then the condensation pools and causes all kinds of problems. I've actually seen cars with VERY low miles need new engines because the little old lady "drove it around the block" once a week.

Just makes sure if you're starting it up once a week that you take it across town, and get everything hot enough to burn off the moisture before shutting her back down. My $0.02...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, when i drive. I drive it a full day. Curious if jeep mopar is a stickler for exact date to the year.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
One thing I'll add to this - starting and running the car briefly can actually be WORSE than just letting it sit. The reason is that upon start-up and warming, a lot of condensation is formed. IF you don't bring it up to full operating temp (including the exhaust system) then the condensation pools and causes all kinds of problems. I've actually seen cars with VERY low miles need new engines because the little old lady "drove it around the block" once a week.

Just makes sure if you're starting it up once a week that you take it across town, and get everything hot enough to burn off the moisture before shutting her back down. My $0.02...
Good info!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The quality of oil now is much better but I’m old fashioned and it doesn’t cost to much plus free rotation where I go. So it’s worth the 25 dollars to me every 3 to 5k.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yeah, when i drive. I drive it a full day. Curious if jeep mopar is a stickler for exact date to the year.
If let say you might need one day a new motor from them Im sure they will look at your maintenance records.
For non motor/oil related repairs I doubt they will care.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Full synthetic once a year is what mine gets since it sees a little less than 5k per year on average.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
1 year, 10,000 miles or when the service indicator tell you to (whichever come first)

With synthetic no need to do it sooner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts