Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my weekly checklist and pulled the filter housing open to check the air filter and out of the crank case vent tube was dripping oil.

Now before I change out for a new filter.
What caused this?
Perhaps the seafoam I used a while back.
This hasn't happened to me before with this rig. (I've only had the jeep for 3 months almost now)

It runs great.
2.5L 5 Speed.
Doesn't smoke.
Any advise or direction would be helpful.
Thanks.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
a little oil coming from that line is not a big deal..I doubt it was the seafoam..with your engine running pull the pcv out of the rocker cover and check its operation..when you put your thumb partially over the end the valve should open and it should have vacuum..other than that the only thing that I can think of would be oil return passages partially cloaked letting the oil build up in the valve cover but that is doubtful

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It is normal to see some left over oil which is from the CCV pushing fumes (hot oil vapors) back into the intake to be burnt. What happens is it cools and leaves an oily residue sometimes a lot depending on wear of engine parts and in the case of yesterdays thread an over serviced oil change too much oil in the engine. All you can do is ensure you have cleaned up what you find and the CCV is clear enough to do its job. When changing the oil make sure to put in I belive without looking 4 quarts for the 2.5 and no more. Most jugs are now 5 quarts which is how the mistake was made to another jeeper. But in your case left over residue. Unless it is enough to fill a smalll tuna can clean it up and monitor. Attached is from the FSM on the CCV and explains the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure now if its oil.
I can't quite pin down the smell.
Here's a picture
That's the other side. I turned the filter around so I can see how much it leaks.

Don't worry I didn't flip it over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes oil and water. You need to run until you reach operating temp and then run a compression test on all 4 cylinders and see what you get one of the cylinders may be a lot lwer than the rest.Optimum compression is 155 to 185 psi. You need to pull the coil wire and if you have a carb choke wiide open. Crank 7 cycles and get readiing from gauge. If you have two adjacent cylkinders that are low you have a blown gasket. If you have one cylinder you maay haave a blown gasket to a water jacket. Let us know but that is what it looks like from the picture. This a DIY job and not to complicated.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Seems simple enough. Will do tomorrow. If I just do it after I get home from work will it be entirely way too hot?
Should I let it cool for a few minutes.

Forgot in my original post. Its a 1995.
Its coming from the breether tube off the top of the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
No actually after a run home I would go in and change into work clothes and the start right away. Cold compression tests will tell only part oof the story. So hot is good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All.....I have been trying to figure out similar issues and this thread is relevant.

First, mine is a 1991, 2.5 and I do not have a PCV, I have a CVV system. I was lightly concerned about blow-by with oil in my filter and if I had a clogged CVV connection from the valve cover to the intake. Then, before I had a chance to really get into it...I had the Jeep serviced and all the fluids replaced. Afterward, the blow-by got much worse with oil blowing out the fill cap. Anyway, after looking over everything....checked the oil and it was well over the safe line....the service center put 5 quarts in. They agree'd to take care of this and drain/refill the oil.....however I still have a minor blow-by issue assuming the overfill did not make it worse.

This is what I have learned:
1. My blow-by issue could have been a clogged CCV connection at first, however definitely made worse by too much oil.
2. I was not able to order a new CVV from NAPA.
3. I have read that this part was limited based on year and that I should clean it out.
4. That having too much oil in the engine is not good, however should not have created any significant damage in a few hundred miles.
5. Blow-by is either the PVC/CVV not functioning correctly or more common that the rings are starting to wear.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it turns out to be a head gasket.
Is there anything else I could check/replace while the head is off?

Do these motors favor well to a port job?
I've got a guy who I've have 2 sets of heads ported one a mopar 360 the other was a 440. Both turned out well. Well for cast iron heads with stock valves that is.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Haven't seen a thread on porting or polishing but from my old days if you got a guy why not!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If it turns out to be a head gasket.
Is there anything else I could check/replace while the head is off?

Do these motors favor well to a port job?
I've got a guy who I've have 2 sets of heads ported one a mopar 360 the other was a 440. Both turned out well. Well for cast iron heads with stock valves that is.
I think any engine would favor a port job but it would be a lot less noticeable on a stock engine versus one that is full blown

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well had a minor emergency yesterday so I didn't get to the jeep.

Today doesn't look good either.
Thinkin I just will bring my compression tester to work tomorrow or do it Friday.

Anything I should be doing to the engine in the mean time.
The dip stick seems to be moisture free but I don't know if it would show there. Never have had water issues before.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just don't want to hose my lifters then pop up here with my new problem and everyone say "well when you noticed the moisture you should of _________________. Then this wouldn't have happened"

That's all.
Funny when I have problem I always look to see what the aftermarket support is.
On the subject of rockers.
Why are roller rocker kits for a 2.5L twice as much as they are for your average V8 (Being chevy ford or dodge carb era)
When you only need half as many?
Are they 4 times better?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I just don't want to hose my lifters then pop up here with my new problem and everyone say "well when you noticed the moisture you should of _________________. Then this wouldn't have happened"

That's all.
Funny when I have problem I always look to see what the aftermarket support is.
On the subject of rockers.
Why are roller rocker kits for a 2.5L twice as much as they are for your average V8 (Being chevy ford or dodge carb era)
When you only need half as many?
Are they 4 times better?
I seriously doubt that..they just jack you up where they can..maybe they figure that since you have a 4 cylinder that you don't spend as much at the gas pump so you have more for them to get

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am very new to all this.The last time I worked on an engine it was a new 1966 Caprice w/396, rochester carb.It was my dads.Anyway I've had my jeep about 4 weeks 89yj 2.5L TBI 5speed W/CCV. The engineers that designed this system should be drawn & quartered!Mine has been spitting this crap out since I pulled into my driveway the first day.Compression test on mine is good for the mileage.Ran all new hoses and cleaned out ccv fitting on SIDE of valve cover.The more I drive it the less i'm seeing since then.I ended up bringing it to the shop, that system starts at the air filter box and is routed so its hard to find all the hoses.After reading these posts I was sure the head gasket was blown,not the case.Depending on your knowledge, if your unsure, bring it to a good mechanic before resigning to the blown head gasket. Good luck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts