Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my oil pressure gauge does not work unless I tap on it. when I tap on it it will work most of the time then just stop working. just trying to see if any one else has had this problem and where would be a good place to start. thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got done replacing temp. sensor, the guage wasn't working, neither was the oil gauge.I took the screws out of the guage cluster only, top & bottom. Wiggled the frame till it came out.Took out the screws that hold the guage panel itself and GENTLY used a pencil eraser to clean the connections, cleaned everything I could get at while I had it apart and put it back together.Everything is working great.I have an 89tj 2.5L and I got most of the how to reading the posts here and the Haynes Manual.P.S. Be careful the back of the panel with the wiring "tape" on mine was quite brittle, handle with care.Hope this helps.This was my first success at working on it myself and it felt great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil pressure gauge is the only one that doesnot work. I will pull it apart and check out the gauge connections. maybe throw some of those LED lights in there while I have it apart.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you just remove the screws that you can see to take that center gauge cluster off, or is there more stuff to remove?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just took out the screws around the guage cluster part of the dash only, after you get the dash part off you will see the screws that hold the guage panel in, its straight forward.After you get the DASH screws out you might have to wiggle it some to get it out, mine was so loose with the screws out there was no question I had them all out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
cleaning connections

I think 89quest has a great answer. The printed circuit stuff and terminals get loose and dirty. The eraser is the best way to clean them imho. I would disconnect the ground connection at the battery before beginning just to be on the safe side. Hope your next post is about a positive result.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm. I have to the exact thing on an 88 I just picked up this past Saturday. Both oil and temp. The oil works when you tap, but my temp doesn't move. I'll post my results at some point. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts