Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this site recently, lots of great info here. Was hoping to pick the brains of those that might know a bit more about the oil pressure indication....thanks in advance for all replies --

2004 SE, 2.4L 4 cyl MT with 173k miles, completely stock.

In the last couple of weeks we've had the oil pressure gauge dip towards the low side and the "check gauges" light come on in the dash.

When this happens, the oil pressure indicator fluctuates between low pressure (not quite all the way down) and normal pressure. It has only happened at idle, but we've also noticed tiny fluctuations both while driving and at idle; before this it has always been rock steady.

Oil pressure sensor? Since it's not consistent and I've been diligent on changing the oil (Amsoil, usually at 5k) expecting it to not be the pump.

Thoughts and thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just asked the same question on my 97. From what i was told, its normal. Its a "true pressure" gauge so its going to fluctuate

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The gauge has ALWAYS been rock steady, until a couple weeks ago. At idle or on the go it has always indicated a pressure just above mid-level.

Recently it has begun to show wide fluctuations, dipping so far down that the "check gauges" light comes on in the dash.

While I realize that small fluctuations in oil pressure are normal, these wide swings, which have suddenly appeared, are different. Trying to get some perspective on the situation.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It's the sending unit going out. The early TJ's like mine have a real oil pressure gauge the later ones read in one of 3 positions I believe. Get a new sending unit unit from the dealer and throw it on there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, probably the sender. Unless there is actually something wrong in the engine or its lube system, (or very low oil level or too thin of oil or too hot among other things?) the oil pressure should never "normally" fluctuate down to where the check gauges light comes on. Just on the chance that it is not the sender failing, I wouldn't run the engine at all until I found out.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,827 Posts
It's the sending unit going out. The early TJ's like mine have a real oil pressure gauge the later ones read in one of 3 positions I believe. Get a new sending unit unit from the dealer and throw it on there.
That "from the dealer" bears repeating... senders/sensors from anywhere else but the dealer is like throwing the dice, most aftermarket sensors from stores like Autozone are from China and not worth the $$$ or effort to install. I had to install an oil pressure sender into my son's Grand Cherokee on a Sunday when the dealer was closed and it took three different senders from Autozone before I finally got one that worked properly. One of Autozone's senders actually worked backwards... it indicated high oil pressure at idle RPMs and showed lower pressure at high engine RPMS. :facepalm:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts