Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my oil pressure send unit back in April with one from Autozone. It now appears as if it might have failed. I understand from the posts that this particular part is known to fail in YJ's but to have it last only 3 months? So my question is:

Is there a better brand of oil sending unit? Or are the all similar to the generic autozone part.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not sure about them all being generic. But have you tried removing your gauge cluster and cleaning all the contacts with dielectric grease? It may help they might just be dirty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes unfortunately that was the last thing I did. Which brought me back to the idea that this sending unit has possibly failed after 3 months.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oh sorry, completely forgot to post that with question. 1987 4.2 L
You have a light green wire going from the unit to the bulk head connector at the firewall, then a light blue wire going from the inner firewall to the gauge. If the gauge contacts are clean and the wires are ok all that leaves is the sending unit. I just went through this and I hate electric gauges so I bought a manual gauge and installed it under the stereo. Easy 20 minute install and I feel like they are more accurate, actually measures pressure instead of relying on sensors and wires. You should have a elbow style adapter screwed into the block with the sending unit and oil pressure switch attached. The switch with two wires is attached to the choke and effects drivability. The bell shaped sending can be reined with no ill consequences. BTW......new gauge was same cost as new sensor. If needed I can post a wiring diagram for this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts