Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Idling, my father in law's 97 TJ's,(2.5L), oil pressure will drop causing the Check Gauges light to come on. I've seen his previous 4.0 cherokee do this as well. Is this a common jeep defect? Is it the sensor? Yes it has oil.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yeah but to be sure i would connect a mechanical gauge to be sure there is actual pressure. I had the same problem except my pressure would read 80psi all i did was push on the sensor connector a little and it cured it but I think a higher force had something to do with it cause on the anniversary of my mom's death my speedometer went nuts and then after it passed everything was fine and yeah i know i know it sounds weird but it's true. But back to the sensor I would like i said earlier check it with a mechanical gauge and then replace the sensor.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will have the pressure tested. After googling though, it seems it's a common jeep issue with the sensors. Like I said, I saw my father in laws do the exact same thing. I'm going to clean the connection and I have one on order from ebay for 7bucks.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Inexpensive oil pressure senders seldom hold up long, they sometimes don't even work right out of the box. One Sunday when my son's oil pressure guage went bad and the Jeep dealer's parts department was closed, it took 3 different Autozone senders before I got one that worked properly. Best to go Mopar on senders.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My cheap sensor didn't last 1000 miles before it stopped working. Mopar sensor is the way to go. No need to check with a mechanical gauge. You would definitely know if you had no oil pressure for even a minute.

·
Registered
281 Posts
x2 on what jerry and jeepay said.

sorry jerry and jeepjay I should have told him not to get the cheap one but thanks for jumping in and telling him.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Whats the correct Mopar part number?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ya gotta wonder how we got to the moon, when we can't seem to make a decent oil pressure sender.

I'm not sure how many I have replaced in my jeep at least 4, I keep one in the console along with a spare distributor plate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Inexpensive oil pressure senders seldom hold up long, they sometimes don't even work right out of the box. One Sunday when my son's oil pressure guage went bad and the Jeep dealer's parts department was closed, it took 3 different Autozone senders before I got one that worked properly. Best to go Mopar on senders.
Changed mine with one from oreillys and still drops out as it did before. so Seldom though I dont care. plus as soon has you hit the gas it comes back and stays. IF your going to change it, then Mopar

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Changed mine with one from oreillys and still drops out as it did before. so Seldom though I dont care. plus as soon has you hit the gas it comes back and stays. IF your going to change it, then Mopar
Does yours actually drop all the way down to 0 psi at idle and cause your Check Gauges light to illuminate?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does yours actually drop all the way down to 0 psi at idle and cause your Check Gauges light to illuminate?
Yes, maybe a handful of times in 3 months. Pull up to read light. drops to 0 and alarms. when i take off it comes back and does not drop out at the next light. it will take another month or so before it does it again. Or while at the light i just slip into neutral, it comes back up to normal pressure. then back to drive and still good. light turns green and i go.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Try unplugging its connector and cleaning it, perhaps it just has a dirty grimy intermittent connection. Especially given its location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts