Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All- I'm new here so I appreciate your help in advance.

When I first fire the jeep up cold (YJ 2.5) I get 40ish PSI on the oil pressure at idle. After she warms up the gauge pegs to 0 at stoplights and maybe 20 psi or so at speed. I would think if I had 0 oil pressure I'd have a pretty serious knock. The motor doesn't sound off or anything and it seems to pull through the gears just fine.

It's an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I think it might be a mechanical gauge (picture attached but I'm not 100% sure at all). Is this oil pressure thing normal for these jeeps?

I have no idea what weight oil is in it. Filter is a microgard.

IMG_0315.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Welcome to the Forum nkd9,

I suggest that you change your oil and filter. I use regular 10W-30 or 10W-40, depending on how I feel when I'm buying my oil.
Once you know what oil you have, post again.

I'd also consider buying a quality oil pressure gauge if you're unsure about the one you have now.

Let us know what happens once you change your oil.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine does not quite go to 0, but I have the same situation. It’s near 20PSI at 45 mph, but at a stoplight is running about 5. If you use the 10PSI for every 1000 RPM, I’m close.

I did change the sending unit, as mine was having the exact same situation as you.

At some point, I’ll put a quality gauge on it. It doesn’t rattle, and the oil stays nice and clean, so I’m not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a quality filter like a Wix, 3 quarts of high mileage 10a40, and one quart of Lucas oil treatment. You will most likely see an immediate improvement.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
When was the oil last changed? Did you verify the oil pressure with a trusted mechanical oil pressure gauge? That would be the first thing I would do if I suspected a problem with oil pressure after making sure the oil level was full. I would not throw anything like Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the sump. If you're running a 5W or 10W30 try a 5W or 10W40 and a Fram Ultra filter if the mechanical gauge gives the same readings you are getting now. If that doesn't work you will have to dig in further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. So I changed the oil. 10-40 with Lucas and a Napa gold filter. My dash gauge is mechanical, now I’m maybe getting 5 psi or so at stop lights. I read somewhere to bleed the mechanical gauge and I tried that too. Any ideas? Try a different gauge?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts