Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum. We just bought our first jeep an 1987 YJ with the 4.2. Haven't had it out because it developed a couple of good leaks that I needed to take care of first. With the help on this forum I have managed to take care of the valve cover gasket and am in the middle of the rear main seal and oil pan gasket change. While I had the pan down I decided to get an new oil pump as well. None of the parts stores had the pump and screen in stock so I went with just the pump. My problem now is how do I transfer the old screen to the new pump? It looks like it should just pull out but I can't get it to budge and I don't want to crush the pipe. Is it worth it or should I just wait and order a new screen? I was hoping to get it all done this weekend. Also I saw on another forum that I should pack the new oil pump with Vaseline but it didn't explain why? Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help.

Zedd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put the pump in a vice, mark the pump and tube, twist the pick-up tube, twist it back and forth while pulling it out of the pump, you might have to heat the pump, (not the tube) Mark the pump where you can mark the new pump so you can get the tube back in the same position.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Thats pretty much how I've done it. A gentle vice grip to help, perhaps.

The vaseline is to help get the pump primed on startup. It works. The vaseline disolves into the oil as soon as it warms up. An alternative is to engage the pump drive slot with a shaft similar to a long screwdriver chucked in a drill and rotate till the oil system reads pressure. That way you dont run dry for a few seconds before the pump primes and then delivers the oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info I decided to go ahead and get a new screen. Got it installed on the new pump tonight and then went to dry fit the oil pan and can't get the rear of the oil pan to fit. It appears that the new screen turns toward the front of the pan about 20 degrees and is hitting the baffle in the pan. So I either have to modify IE cut out some of the baffle, get a new pan or reinstall the old pump

How important is the baffle?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Get a new pump that fits, I would not cut the baffle, it's there for a reason, the vaseline is good, also something like STP has worked well for me, but put something in it or it may not prime no matter how long you spin it when it's dry, I learned that the hard way when I was 14 and re-ringing my first Car, A Worn Out, Beat Up, 57 CHEVY! :rip:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts