Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have gone to straight synthetic oil? I used it in my 2005 Mustang GT and had good luck with it. I was able to go 7500 or even 10000 miles between oil changes knowing that the oil was not breaking down. My new Jeep is a 2014 Willys with the 3.6.

Thoughts??

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,237 Posts
Congrats on your new Wrangler, and Welcome to the Forum...:wavey:

First approx. 3000 miles run conventional to make sure that your oil control rings are seated in. After that, either one, your choice! There is no right or wrong, as long as you follow the recommendations in your owners manual.

What does your owners manual say?

If you do a Forum search, you will find a lot of threads and information on this topic.:thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was at the dealership this past weekend and they said the first oil change should be at 3000 miles. Then at the 3000 mile mark we could talk about switching over to synthetic.

Which will then have oil changes at every 5000 miles. This was at a mopar express lane service center. Oh and I have a 14 wrangler unlimited sport.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A lot of vehicles factory fill is synthetic. I changed my oil within several hundred miles. I'm using Amsoil 5-30 SS, but wouldn't hesitate to run their 5-20 signature series. That would be my choice for you assuming you want to stay with 5-20 oil.

Don't go over 10,000 with any true synthetic and you'll be fine. Although I run an extended drain oil I don't run it past that. I probably could, but without an oil analysis it's better to be safe than sorry.

btw...welcome to the forum. Nice Wrangler you have there...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at the dealership this past weekend and they said the first oil change should be at 3000 miles. Then at the 3000 mile mark we could talk about switching over to synthetic.

Which will then have oil changes at every 5000 miles. This was at a mopar express lane service center. Oh and I have a 14 wrangler unlimited sport.

This is the schedule I plan to follow with my 2014 JKU. I will probably pick up some Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic at Costco when it is on sale.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,237 Posts
There is no right or wrong, as long as you follow the recommendations in your owners manual.

What does your owners manual say?

:
JKU. I will probably pick up some Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic at Costco when it is on sale.
Does your Owners manual approve Mobile 1????????:facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Bacon.

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does your Owners manual approve Mobile 1????????:facepalm:
The owners manual doesn't approve any oil...it only recommends. As long as it is API certified and covers the Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 it will be fine.

I know Mobil 1 use to have this on their label but that could have changed (been awhile since I bought Mobil 1)

I would be just as happy buying Pennzoil if that is what is needed to be 100% safe.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The last time I checked Mobile One's web site, they advised they do not currently meet the latest Chrysler standards. This is not because their oil is inferior, but Chrysler's latest standard requires an extended duration test, which is in process, but not yet complete. The web site said that they fully expect to meet this standard with their current synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
8,403 Posts
From the owners manual:

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The last time I checked Mobile One's web site, they advised they do not currently meet the latest Chrysler standards. This is not because their oil is inferior, but Chrysler's latest standard requires an extended duration test, which is in process, but not yet complete. The web site said that they fully expect to meet this standard with their current synthetic oil.
Unfortunately that is enough technical jargon for them to deny engine warranty service. I find that surprising the Mobile One gets singled out give the size of Mobile compared to smaller companies.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,237 Posts
I for one am not here to promote, or cut down the quality of Mobile 1 oil. I am not a Chemist, and am not qualified to do so!
According to what I have read from Bob the oil Guy, who knows a lot more about oil than I do. Mobile one is not any better or worse than many other Synthetic oils. (They are all good).

My only thinking on it is, why use a oil in a product that I own, and is under warranty, that is not recommended and endorsed by the manufacture of that product.:facepalm:
Now if it was the only proven quality oil available, then it maybe worth the gamble, but that is not the case!

It blows my mind, that just on this Forum alone, how many will still use Mobile 1, when it is currently not approved by Chrysler/Jeep. (As to why it is not approved, is in-material)!

I will give the marketing team for Mobile one a hand, because they have convinced so many that their product is the best, and all of the others are inferior, so use it whether it is recommended or not.........:appl:

What you all use is up to you, But I for one will stay with a Chrysler/Jeep recommended synthetic Brand for simplicity sake...........:thumb:

Aren't these oil Threads just great..........:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I for one am not here to promote, or cut down the quality of Mobile 1 oil.
According to what I have read from Bob the oil Guy, who knows a lot more about oil than I do. Mobile one is not any better or worse than many other Synthetic oils. (They are all good).

My only thinking on it is, why use a oil in a product that I own, and is under warranty, that is not recommended and endorsed by the manufacture of that product.:facepalm:
Now if it was the only proven quality oil available, then it maybe worth the gamble, but that is not the case!

It blows my mind, that just on this Forum alone, how many will still use Mobile 1, when it is currently not approved by Chrysler/Jeep. As to why it is not approved, is in-material!

I will give the marketing team for Mobile one a hand, because they have convinced so many that their product is the best, and all of the others are inferior, so use it whether it is recommended or not.........:appl:

What you all use is up to you, But I for one will stay with a Chrysler/Jeep recommended synthetic Brand for simplicity sake...........:thumb:

Aren't these oil Threads just great..........:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
There is so much truth in this post that I think you should post in every oil thread going forward because synthetic, Mobile One and the warranty creep in every time. :thumb:

Someone might be posting about a simple differential oil leak and a couple posts later someone will bring up that using synthetic engine oil is the cause or the solution and the show begins ...

·
Super Moderator
53,780 Posts
There is so much truth in this post that I think you should post in every oil thread going forward because synthetic, Mobile One and the warranty creep in every time. :thumb: Someone might be posting about a simple differential oil leak and a couple posts later someone will bring up that using synthetic engine oil is the cause or the solution and the show begins ...

I never was able to find a answer to this. Never looked actually lol
My last 2001 Tj was at 160k when I traded her in. It ticked and had what I believe piston slap. It did not sound to healthy cold but purred when up to OT.
For some reason my engine did not like mobile 1. The engine quieted after warm up with every other oil tried. I even switched around going back to mobile 1-same results. I never really looked for a reason and just ran other oils. Maybe there's a reason for M1 not being approved :confused:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
How can they tell what brand you put in at the dealer just tell them it's Mopar or something

·
Registered
40 Posts
I asked my dealership on using synthetic and they said it was not recommended on new 3.6 engines. They will do the first 4 oil changes for free and then I can switch to synthetic. He also said that I could get the first free one at 1000 miles if I wanted.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts