Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I’ve got a 2013 JK 3.6 Pukestar and oil is constantly soaking my air filter. I’m not overfilling it. Changed the PCV valve and it got worse if anything. Head bad or blown head gasket? I’m not at familiar with overhead cam engines so thank you

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
If it is running okay the head is probably okay and with a blown head gasket you would either have a overheating problem or oil in the coolant.

You have 2 lines for the PCV valve to work, one being the PCV line, going to the PCV to the plenum and the other line which is a breather line. The breather line bring in fresh filtered air into the crankcase when the PCV is open. In a perfect world this line only allows air in, it will not suck it out. There should be baffles or filters somewhere in that line but I have not played with it enough to find them.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
How much oil is getting onto the oil filter over what period of time? Oil does and will get through the PCV system as vapor but it shouldn't "soak" the filter per say.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
The air filter should have oil on it. There is a breather hose from the crankcase to the intake right where the air filter sits. If the air filter is soaked, that's another story.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
The air filter should have oil on it.
Not that I am aware of. They are supposed to run dry. I haven't seen an oiled filter in decades. If oil is getting through the pcv valve then it needs to be changed, or at least you need to find out why the excessive back pressure in the crankcase exists, because it shouldn't be there on an engine in good condition.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Not that I am aware of. They are supposed to run dry. I haven't seen an oiled filter in decades. If oil is getting through the pcv valve then it needs to be changed, or at least you need to find out why the excessive back pressure in the crankcase exists, because it shouldn't be there on an engine in good condition.
Should is probably the wrong word; usually is better. The corner of my filter has always had a mark of oil vapor on it on the corner immediately next to the vent tube. I've had mine since 2 miles and it runs perfectly. Plenty of hits in the search results of the same behavior.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
95,820 Posts
100% agree. My 2013 has 44,000 miles on it. I change the air filter once a year, because I live in dusty Arizona. I have never seen any oil on my air filter element.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
100% agree. My 2013 has 44,000 miles on it. I change the air filter once a year, because I live in dusty Arizona. I have never seen any oil on my air filter element.
I actually reuse mine. Every six months or so I blow and vacuum it out, but yeah, mine is the same one which came from the factory (2017) and it is bone dry.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
95,820 Posts
I actually reuse mine. Every six months or so I blow and vacuum it out, but yeah, mine is the same one which came from the factory (2017) and it is bone dry.
The vacuum is not a bad idea. The price of the new filter, has gone out of sight. I only use the original Mopar filter, made in USA. Same here, never any oil on it.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I found oil soaking my filter at ~20k miles, took it to the shop and they had to replace the short block.
Yeah.. it's not normal. Either your pcv valve is buggered... or something much more serious like excessive ring blow-by causing an abnormally high pressure in the crankcase. Granted you will see some older vehicles with wet filter corners and such because of the natural ring wear.

That's been my experience with wetted filters anyway...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts