Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I brought my TJ into Tim shot where I work and we ran some fuel cleaner through (not the kind through the gas tank, the pressurized stuff going directly into the intake). Did wonders, jeep idles better and runs smoother. So, to do this you keep your vehicle running and keep it a constant rpm,normally around 2 grand. This I did, and then revved it up some during. When it was done, I turned it off to unhook the machine, but when I started it up again, oil spayed out on the ground from somewhere. Dripped for about 150 feet while I drove and it burned off. Was worried, but then I let it sit for almost an hour and not one leak could I see, and no spots on ground. What do you think happened? I was going to replace valve cover gasket to be safe. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
look for oil coming off of the engine. If youu are sure that it is oil, there has to be a source coming from somewhere. dont just start replacing parts, find the leak. and remember, gravity pulls everything down, so if you find oil on the bottom of the oil pan, it doesnt mean the oil pan is leaking, it could mean something above it is leaking.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Oil literally sprayed out? If it sprayed out you should be able to see evidence of where it's coming from. I've only seen oil actually spray from around the oil filter usually from the old gasket being left on. Have you done an oil change lately?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for late response, been a busy weekend. It was definitely oil. No we have not done an oil change recently - just bought it a month ago and the mileage due is not for another 1600 miles or so. However, the guy before me barely drove it ( he bought it in 2003 with 77000 on it, I bought it in 2012 with 92, so that gives you an idea ), so no telling how long since it has actually been done. Upon closer inspection, it looked like the valve cover area, so I went to replace that. When I started, I noticed that at least four of the bolts holding the valve cover were ridiculously loose - one was loose enough that I just used my fingers to pull it out. I'm thinking that's where it came from. Replaced the valve cover gasket last night, haven't seen anything since. Driving about 200 miles tomorrow, so we'll go from there. Pray for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts