Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Sahara with a little over 50k miles. I am losing oil, but I can see no leaks. Valve guides or seals? Or? Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yup, You just have to try different weights and brands of oils until you find one that works the best for you... I settled on Castrol 10W-30 Extended milage vehicle oil (Green Jug).
Important thing is to watch the dip stick ...and pack a quart or two with ya....."BH"

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
It could be a lot of things, including problems with the valves, rings, or a leak which you ruled out. The 3.8L has a reputation for being an oil burner there are a few things you can try to reduce oil consumption. Moving up a grade to a 30 grade oil might help. You can check the valve seals. It could also be sticking rings. I would consider pulling the spark plugs and do a piston soak. I'd do that right before your next oil change. If the rings are sticking it might help. There's a lot of information on the WWW. on how to do a piston soak and what to use. I'd read up on it if you're interested. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the suggestions. It gives me a good start to solving the problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts