Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2004 TJ X last week. My buddy bought a Rubicon the same day. I am already behind the power curve with him and want to catch up. A lift... some tires... New bumpers... I DONT KNOW WHERE TO START!!! HELP!
View attachment 1001

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
take it back and get a rubicon. Most Wrangler X models have the dreaded Dana 35. If that's the case it would be cheaper to get the rubi and start there.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Start with a BudgetBoost lift, and a taller tire and you'd be right where your buddy is except for the lockers. AS for bumpers, its kinda your preferance, some like the tubes orther like the flat steel... its up to you, thats why you got a Jeep!

Welcome to the boards!

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Sometimes you don't get to start at the top of the curve. Why not wheel what you got, break it, upgrade? Keeping up with the big dogs isn't always possible or even worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i traded in a Mustang so 4x4 is new to me. I know nothing haha
i have been looking around and reading threads here. I like the flat steel better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wait until he is away and strip the parts from his Rubicon! :D :D

Nice looking Jeep.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Clifford either has more money than the rest of us or is in debt up to his eyeballs.

Yes, I'm jealous! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the last owner was a bank manager and used it as a Mall jeep. i wont be doing any rock crawling or anything. Muds more my cup of tea i think, being from louisiana and all.

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
how much cash you have in your pocket?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
so whats the limits of my stock X?
i dont wanna wait for mods... what could/should i get into without mods right now?

Prolly pretty close to what my Sport is
, which is pretty capable. Took it out over the weekend and surprized at how well it did. Just be sure you hook up with some local guys that now the local trails that way they can start you out at a nice level to get you used to your rig and then when you progress, you can add a lift and tires and what not. I wouldn't jump from stock to 4" higher witout knowing how well it performs now, and how you handle it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah thanks. thats some good info. i am in the virginia beach area right now, I am NAVY. moving back home to Louisiana in june. i know some places there.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
so whats the limits of my stock X?
i dont wanna wait for mods... what could/should i get into without mods right now?
You should take it out and play, but don't go alone. You could get in to deep stuff, but you also could have a lot of fun. I've found that intestinal fortitude will get you almost as many places as a good set of tires.

Good Luck and have fun!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,067 Posts
Your X is capable of far more than you may believe it is. And it can be easily built up to be a Rubicon killer. ESPECIALLY since most Rubicon owners don't have a clue what they have or how to drive them offroad. For you Rubicon owners who will disagree, I didn't say all Rubicon owners. :)

Your X may have a Dana 44 axle in the rear which is an optional extra-cost upgrade. If so, you're not that far behind the curve. Install a locker, good tires, a lift, and after you learn to drive it offroad, you'll be able to keep up with that Rubicon. And if you really learn how to drive it, you'd be able to leave most Rubicons in the dust since (again) few Rubicon owners know what they have or how to use it.

On my last offroad trip, guess which of the 20+ vehicles in my group had the most trouble and needed the most help? The sole Rubicon... because the owner was afraid of pushing it/scratching it and didn't know what he was doing.

Just because it's a Rubicon doesn't mean anything if its owner is a newbie or is afraid of hurting it. I wouldn't trade my built '97 TJ for a brand-new Rubicon. Really. :)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The easiest way is to look at the fill plug. If it is metal, and removeable with a 3/8 ratchet, it is a D44. If you have a plastic removable fill plug, it is a D35.

By the way, Jerry Bransford is very correct in what he said. I have a Rubicon, and have wheeled with another from our club that has a carbed YJ on 35" tires, and he usually spanks everyone in the club. He is a very proficiant wheeler. He knows how to pick his lines, and isn't afraid of turning it over, though he does not try to, either.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the first thing you need to do is take a good hard look into the future. Think about where you would like to be in the long term. I promise you that you will come out way ahead in the long run if you take your time now and invest your money wisely the first time.

The first thing you should do is take your Jeep out as it sits (stock) and see what it’s capable of and see what you’re capable of. You might find that it does everything you want it to do without any modifications and you might find that it does more than you’re comfortable doing. There are plenty of folks out there who are happy with a stock Jeep and there is nothing wrong with that despite what you might read or what others might tell you. The BEST riding most trouble free Jeeps out there are bone stock.

If you really want to spend some money on your rig then I would suggest you invest some money in some skid plates. Look at a good gas tank skid, steering box skid, differential covers, oil pan skid, engine skid and if possible maybe even a transfer case skid plate. Then you can wheel it in stock form and not have to worry about tearing anything up.

When you start looking at lifts the first thing you need to think about is what size tires you want to run. The only reason to run a lift in the first place is to clear larger tires. Lifts are for ground clearance. Keep in mind that a 6” lift and 32” tall tires won’t give you anymore ground clearance than a 4” lift and 32” tall tires. Ground clearance is measured from the lowest point of the bottom of your vehicle to the ground. You gain ground clearance by adding larger tires. You add a larger lift to clear larger tires. Make sense?

This is where things start getting complicated. The larger the lift you add and the larger the tires you add the more it gets involved. Your stock axles, steering, control arms, track bars, drive shafts etc start getting stressed, geometry changes and handling changes. This is when it also gets expensive.

My best suggestion to you is to take your time and really think about where you want to go with your Jeep in the long term. I promise you that you will be money ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As an X model it will have the D35, the 44 is not available as an optional upgrade in that trim. I started with an X too, mine has a D44 only because I busted a ring and pinion in a locked 35. The 35 is capable enough as long as your tires don't get too big and you don't run a locker. I agree with all the others when they say take it out and wheel it stock, you'll be surprised:D . Don't worry though, you'll be in the neverending upgrade game soon enough. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts