Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..
I'm a newbie and I hate these bumpers. They where chrome and I thought painting them black would make me feel better about them untill I could afford better ones. Found out they are useless. I didn't go to the local newbie trail run because I can't with these. How can I own a Jeep and not be able to trail? That's why I bought it for. So now I need to call on you guys.

What are good affordable ones out there for a newbie that has never trailed and wants to?

I'm not lifting her untill I get used to trailing in stock form. Since I've never done it, and I want to test my limits.

I want a rear bumper that can hold my hi-lift jack once I purchase it.

Should I look into a rear bumper with a tire carrier? Since eventually I will be going larger wheels?

Drings? shackles? winch plate? hitch? What to look for in a front bumper?

I appreciate your opinions. Any help would be great. Thanks..

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Can you not wheel because of the lack of tow hooks? If that is the case, they can be purchased, and used with that style of bumper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, no tow hooks, no wheeling.

I have looked around for some to purchase and could not find any for these bumpers. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
throw a snach rope around that hoop on the top

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
or if u wanna pay for shipping ill send you my old stock bumper

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Required Equipment List for any of the runs

Front and rear tow points, securely mounted (No welded on hooks, bolts must be grade 5 or better, and sized for the hooks)
20,000 pound tow strap .No Metal Hooks- and it must be a recovery strap in good repair
CB radio (Working)
Full size spare that fits the rig's bolt pattern for the front and rear and all tools needed to change your own tire while on the trail.

Those are the minimal requirements for me to wheel.
Thanks for the offer dwdrums801. I will keep you in mind..

·
Registered
858 Posts
sounds like a veteran well prepared group you plan on going out with. i know it sounds like a lot of extra stuff you probably won't need, but it helps to have it just in case.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Ya, look for a Jeep club in your area, and get ahold of a stock bumper (or take dwdrums). Stock bumper has bolt holes for grade 8 tow hooks.

Or, Nicolas-Eric just did this to his chrome bumper. Welded on some tow hook mounts.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Front and rear tow points, securely mounted (No welded on hooks, bolts must be grade 5 or better, and sized for the hooks)

Oops, that won't work.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
personally,
i would buy a MIG welder for around $250-300
and a bunch of welding movies and books

and then make all your own stuff,

for a good rear bumper with a tire carrier it will cost around $500, plus around $250 for a frint bumper, and then you have a welder you can use for other projects like rocker gueards, skid plates, tube fenders, and other projects around the house

it is a great skill to have!!

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
rear tow hook.. it goes by the tire well and bolts on to the frame there. Front hooks.. cut a hole in the bumper and use some long hooks and place them there. That was one option for nicolas eric but in germany they dont alow them to have any hooks sticking out past the bumpers so. let me try to find his thread.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts