Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that my JKU is "Supposed" to be on a train car as of today, I'm trying to narrow down my tire choices, so many options...so many pics...So many threads...I've read them all and still just as undecided LOL here's what I'm thinking:

2013 Gecko JKU with TF Leveling Kit, DD, 70-80 highway miles daily, will see light-medium duty off roading

15x8 Black Rock Vipers w/3.75 backspacing (I like the small wheel/big sidewall look)

33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrains (Tire brand/model decision is firm, 6th set, love them)

What I'm wondering about is:
#1 Will they stick out beyond the fenders?
#2 Will the stance be too "Skinny tires, too wide apart" looking? If so I may go to the 12.50's

I'm looking at the 10.50 wide hoping to keep them under the fenders, and the thinner width vs. the 12.50's are better in the snow, this is a DD, the truck its replacing is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Shortbed 4x4 with 285/75/16 BFG AT's and it was easily the best snow vehicle I've ever driven....

Pics of a JKU with the same size tires and wheels would be ideal!! Similiar? Anyone?...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Will those 15's clear the rotors?

Stock BS is 6.5, 'ideal' back spacing for 33x10.5 would only be around 5.5... AEV wheels are only 5.2 BS and they are good up to 37 inches with only a 2.5" lift...

So... your 3.75 are going to stick way out, and look too skinny, IMHO, with 10.5.

I have 315/70/17 (12.5) on factory Rubi wheels with 1.5 spidertrax spacers... to me THAT even looks a bit skinny...

I also ran BFG TKO's on my Tacoma... didn't like them in the winter... I much prefer my Duratrac's for 4 season's of fun. But, if you like them, stick with what you know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Stock BS is 6.5, 'ideal' back spacing for 33x10.5 would only be around 5.5... AEV wheels are only 5.2 BS and they are good up to 37 inches with only a 2.5" lift...

So... your 3.75 are going to stick way out, and look too skinny, IMHO, with 10.5.

I have 315/70/17 (12.5) on factory Rubi wheels with 1.5 spidertrax spacers... to me THAT even looks a bit skinny...

I also ran BFG TKO's on my Tacoma... didn't like them in the winter... I much prefer my Duratrac's for 4 season's of fun. But, if you like them, stick with what you know.

Thanks, how are the AEV wheels quality wise? Supposedly the 15" vipers will clear the calipers but I think you're right about the too wide-too skinny look, as for tires, I've always had good luck with the BFG's as for traction and tread life, my Ram had 130K on it when I gave it to my brother, and I only went through 2 sets of the BFG's in all that time, the set on it are 3 years old and damn near like new... I'd love to try the Duratracs, but its an expensive gamble LOL

Ryan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:whistling:

35's but with 15" vipers.

LOL you're pics have been saved in my folder labeled "Jeep Research Pics" for a month, looks great!! Have any pics from the front or back? How far do they hang out of the fenders? Any spacers? NH can be pricks about tires sticking out on inspection...

Ryan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:redface:

Best I could do. The 3.75 Bs Does push them out quite a bit (1.5" maybe) No spacers.
NH is really that bad?

Cool thanks...Sadly yes, NH is getting bad about stupid crap, tires sticking out, aftermarket lighting, bike exhausts etc...

Ryan

·
Registered
937 Posts
Strange246 said:
Thanks, how are the AEV wheels quality wise? Supposedly the 15" vipers will clear the calipers but I think you're right about the too wide-too skinny look, as for tires, I've always had good luck with the BFG's as for traction and tread life, my Ram had 130K on it when I gave it to my brother, and I only went through 2 sets of the BFG's in all that time, the set on it are 3 years old and damn near like new... I'd love to try the Duratracs, but its an expensive gamble LOL

Ryan
AEV quality? No issues... Put it this way, Jeep (Mopar) sells an aftermarket wheel that's made by AEV...just with a Jeep center cap instead of an AEV one...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

15" wheels require 3.75" bs to clear calipers. 5.2 bs would rub the calipers and not fit with 15" wheels, Thats the bad thing about 15", You can get 4.25 in 16" and clear the calipers but 5.2"bs would even work with 16" unless they are specially made as with stock 16's. 17" can use any bs pretty much as needed for tire size

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
U have the 15's with 33X12.5X15 tires. They look great but as many have found, bigger tires in the 15's are harder to balance.

I have came to the conclusion that if you like smaller wheels, 16's work so much better due to balancing problems especially with the BFG and Duratrac's. If I could do it all over again, I would have got 16's with 4.25" bs

·
Registered
848 Posts
Too much rubber, not enough wheel and you're gonna get terrible fuel mileage for 80 miles a day. Personally I'd rethink this plan.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
LOL I've had KM2's, too loud for me, and they wore out quickly with my commute.)
Duratracs are also very soft... very quiet, but on my work 3/4 ton I get around 45,000km off a set... I am hoping they will last longer on the lighter Jeep.

I had issues with the TKO's getting too hard in cold weather... they did last a long time on my Taco though.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
rics1997 said:
u have the 15's with 33x12.5x15 tires. They look great but as many have found, bigger tires in the 15's are harder to balance.

I have came to the conclusion that if you like smaller wheels, 16's work so much better due to balancing problems especially with the bfg and duratrac's. If i could do it all over again, i would have got 16's with 4.25" bs
x2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts