Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I just bought a 05 Wrangler Unlimited w/ 69K miles on it, it is a one owner vehicle. It has a 6cyl, auto w/ dana 44's and posi according to the window sticker that was in with the onwers manual.

The wife and I live in VA, we do a fair amount of dual sport motorcycle riding on the forest service roads, the jeep will get used on these mountain roads as well as the sand on Assateague Is, VA.

The last time I did any serious 4 wheelin was in the late 60's w/ a Chevy short WB Carryall w/ really big flotation sand tires, we used to run about 12 psi in them and that old rust bucket went anywhere.

After that I bought a Willy's from the Govt at auction for $350, it took my father and I working nights and weekends a month getting all the grease off the damn thing and to get it to run, but it was a blast, just didn't go very fast, it was 4 wheel all the time, got terrible fuel mileage, but was unstopable. Sadly when I went to college in 72 it was sold to help pay for my education.

I don't want to lift the Unlimited, from the reading I have done on this site it looks like 33's are what will fit and work well. For the type of use I am going to be doing........can you all give me a suggestion on which type / style of tire to put on the stock rims?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
My TJ with 31's mall terrains aired down to 10-12 psi do very very well on the sand. :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Without any knind of lift, I think 33's will rub when riding offroad. 31's would be best stock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also have an '05 LJ, I put 31's on her and now we go almost anywhere with no problems.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The Duratracs are awesome on the jeep! They look aggressive, I get alot of compliments on the wheels/tires. They feel like I'm driving on a street tire when I'm on the the road, but when I'm off road they just power through everything!

Last week, (I was by myself) I found some 4 wheelin places and tried them out, with the recent rains the trails were pretty washed out and some of them turned out to be kinda deep, I got into an area where I didn't really want to try to cross, but I couldn't get turned around so I put it 4 wheel hi and went for it, at a slow but constant speed, it was like driving down into a bowl and back up and out the other side. The water was almost to the top of the tires at the deepest point. The tires didn't slip at all, the jeep went right through like it was nothing. I was Totally impressed!!

I also drive in sifty sugar sand and I don't even have to use 4wheel drive or air down, they just float on top of the sand. I had BFG T/A KOs before and they would dig into the sand. Here's a pic showing the tread and siping of the tire, click on pic to enlarge it. these are 33x12.50x15 (but they actually measured 32x11.50x15) I've got a 2.25" BB Lift

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Bfg km2, good on and off road. Low noise and pull hard in slick situations. If snow is in your future then you may want to go with a duratrac by Goodyear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts