Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a 2005 Jeep Wrangler in a couple days. I just did a carfax and everything looks good. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it was previously a rental in Hawaii for a little over a year. I was warned about salt exposure and rust. My question is, does this rust look like a problem or should I forget about this Jeep?

·
Registered
217 Posts
looks fine to me, but do you have any better pics?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It's hard to tell from that one small area. You really need to look under the tub, the fenders, the frame, inside the tub, the rear where the salt kicks up, the body, and underneath the rear behind the gas tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's hard to tell from that one small area. You really need to look under the tub, the fenders, the frame, inside the tub, the rear where the salt kicks up, the body, and underneath the rear behind the gas tank.
Thank you. When I see it I will definitely make sure to check all those areas.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It looks fine, none of the rust in the pictures looks like it caused any damage to the jeep or compromised the structural integrally of it. If you are concerned about it, take a hammer and a screwdriver and hit the top if the screwdriver with the screwdriver on the frame all the way around it, if the screwdriver goes through the frame, you have frame rot and the jeep is no good, this one looks fine though

·
Registered
175 Posts
That thing looks pristine. That's surface rust, bro. It happens to all full-frame vehicles within the first 2 years of being built. If everything checks out, buy it, scuff it and some old fashioned rattle can black spray paint will help fight rust for many additional years beyond the factory's preventative measures.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks fine, none of the rust in the pictures looks like it caused any damage to the jeep or compromised the structural integrally of it. If you are concerned about it, take a hammer and a screwdriver and hit the top if the screwdriver with the screwdriver on the frame all the way around it, if the screwdriver goes through the frame, you have frame rot and the jeep is no good, this one looks fine though
Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do that if I think it looks like a little more than surface rust when I see it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing looks pristine. That's surface rust, bro. It happens to all full-frame vehicles within the first 2 years of being built. If everything checks out, buy it, scuff it and some old fashioned rattle can black spray paint will help fight rust for many additional years beyond the factory's preventative measures.
Thanks, I wasn't completely sure. Someone told me to watch out for it so when I saw it in the pics I was a little nervous. As of now, I'll be buying it on Friday. Pretty stoked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like someone stuck a second steering stabilizer on it to fix their death wobble without fixing the actual problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bottom right of second pic. The extra stabilizer isn't needed as long as everything's working correctly. The actual problem could be a number of things ranging from unbalanced tires, wallowed out or worn track bar bushings, to sloppy steering components. I'm not trying to scare you from buying it as it looks fairly clean but it's something you should look into fixing correctly when you do buy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bottom right of second pic. The extra stabilizer isn't needed as long as everything's working correctly. The actual problem could be a number of things ranging from unbalanced tires, wallowed out or worn track bar bushings, to sloppy steering components. I'm not trying to scare you from buying it as it looks fairly clean but it's something you should look into fixing correctly when you do buy it.
I see what you're talking about. Thank you for explaining. I was planning on taking it in to make sure everything is up to par after purchasing it. But I also don't want anything that needs major work done to it right away either.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
That is a lame description. Rear tow hook and such is factory. Skyjacker is with no experience to back me not wanted by anyone. Don't know why. I'd rather buy a stock Jeep myself. Just my opinion. Do what I want with it. Defiantly would pay less for that over stock myself. Not more. Dude sounds ignorant.

Edit. He sucks at installing cbs to. That looks like ass. Like Rosie O'donnell. No one puts an antennae on the bumper or a cb with wires hanging at passengers feet. Hopefully that's all he did.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^there never was a factory installed Tow Package on a TJ. imo this TJ is not a good deal at that price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts