Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first is more sierouse i think i have decided to just put a stock 4 back into my jeep cause its to much work and money to put a eight in it but i am lifting it and would like to put 33 on it. is it possable to change the gears and get enough power to pull 33s

secound is ther any 6 cylinder diesles out there that can be put in. i like diesel but v8 diesel seems like over kill.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
the only one i can think of is the cummins...you can regear and that will be the most helpful thing you can do but it still isn't gonna be great. the time and effort (plus a little $) is well worth it for a V8.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks can enyone give me a estemit of how much it coast tto put a v8 in a yj and witch one is the best a witch transmission i need with it?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
a chevy 350 would be the most common. and it has plenty of parts along with being reliable with plenty of power. i would just get the tranny out of a 4x4 silverado...and the engine would be a chevy 350 that would work with that tranny so you could keep 4wd...i don't think it would be over 4K. my buddy got his corvette engine and tranny for 2K so add about 1K to make it
4x4 and 1K just because he got a great deal.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The price all depends on whether you do the work or someone else. If you can rebuild your own engine you can buy one from a salvage yard and rebuild it for about $500. The real challenge is getting it in the Jeep and making it work. Again, doing your own work will save a bundle. If you can fabricate, you can build all the necessary mounts and stuff, but these all can be bought from advance adapters. Once you get the motor and tranny stuff figure out...guess what you still aren't done. Your stock axles aren't going to last very long with this new beast under the hood. You are going to need to find yourself at least a set of Dana 44's to handle the extra motor. Realistically, even if you do all the work yourself with junk yard parts, you will tie up a few grand getting it done.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i gotta be honest...i thought the same. i thought "there is no way that stock axles can handle a 350. but my buddy that has the LT1 has stock axles and he romps it and has floored it maybe just a couple times (one wheel peel...he floors it=in the ditch :D) but his stock axles have held up fine with no problem at all...that being said he hasn't been offroad with the new engine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you thought about a GM 4.3 v6 they hav all the adapters for those from advance adapters and it should give you enough power for 33's and a little eaisier on all the other stuff. Plus you can probably still use your stock radiator because I know mine is the same one as a 4.0 but check it out to be sure.
But this is what I want to put in mine when I get the money
sure v8's are cool but someone has to buy gas for it and fix broken drivetrains

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You know...I have thought about the 4.3 for years. I built one once for my S-10. They are plentifil and use most of the same parts for a V-8. The pistons, rods, and all the brackets are the same. When I build my flattie it will definately getting a 4.3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
go with the 350....my only complaint is that mine is carb'd....that with 33's and 4.10's, i get about 10mpg. but i wouldn't risk the d35...the 8.8 is cheap enough, and i swear to God they're magical...since the swap, neither me or a buddy of mine with the 4.0 have ever broken a driveshaft.

if you're still hellbent on diesel, there is a 4 banger cummins that'll give you more than enough grunt to pull 33's...with stock gears. but its a new diesel, and i'm not sure about you, but i think electronics are a pain in the ass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts