Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I feel silly asking this question as ive been driving stick for about 6 years now, HOWEVER in my defense ive only ever driven small cars. So getting used to the rig is a little different. Anyways my question is, What RPMS do you guys take off at when in first? in my cars i was able to do it at about 100-200 rpms avove idle... But in the jeep im finding myself coming off at around 1300-1500... Now i dont know if this is normal since its 2 tons heavier then my other cars... haha But lemme know what you guys think! Thanks guys and again my apologies for the stupid question #j33pN000B

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmmmm...it definitely is different than a manual car I agree. Honestly, I never look at the tach so I can't help you there. However, I can get the breakpoint (not sure If that is the correct term here, hope you know what I mean) fine with no accelerator at all on my jeep if that helps. How long have you had it? Is the jeep brand new? My trans got smoother the more miles I put on it. The first few weeks that thing was really stiff. It gets easier as it lossens up in my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey copperhead_1 Yah buddy the jeep is brand new, its got exactly 72 miles on it now... and yah i know exactly what you mean, i also find that feeling out the "bite point" In the pedal is a little different then what im used to. But then again could be cuz its brand new still and that clutch is grabbing with all its might!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hey copperhead_1 Yah buddy the jeep is brand new, its got exactly 72 miles on it now... and yah i know exactly what you mean, i also find that feeling out the "bite point" In the pedal is a little different then what im used to. But then again could be cuz its brand new still and that clutch is grabbing with all its might!
Bite point, there we go! Yea at 72 miles that thing is going to be hard to drive...I as well thought I forgotten how to drive a stick. Give it time to run through the gears, think I started noticing it loosening up right around when I changed the oil the first time. And congrats on the new jeep!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bite point on these things should be nicknamed the damn G-SPOT! Hard to find but when you do its a helluva ride! haha I can honestly say its unlike any other vehicle ive every driven thats forsure! Alot different and defiantly more complex. and Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the bite point on these things should be nicknamed the damn G-SPOT! Hard to find but when you do its a helluva ride! haha I can honestly say its unlike any other vehicle ive every driven thats forsure! Alot different and defiantly more complex. and Thanks buddy!
HAHA funny stuff sir...trial and error...practice makes perfect...

·
Registered
632 Posts
:awesome: That's hilarious!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
One little aside question...because I have heard others mention/ complain about the Hill Start Assist...is yours on or off?

·
Registered
772 Posts
One little aside question...because I have heard others mention/ complain about the Hill Start Assist...is yours on or off?
Yep, I thought the same thing. The HSA will make it so you need higher RPMs to overcome it. If you are comfortable with a clutch, try it without HSA. You can turn it off in the EVIC menu.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep, I thought the same thing. The HSA will make it so you need higher RPMs to overcome it. If you are comfortable with a clutch, try it without HSA. You can turn it off in the EVIC menu.
Bingo!! Forgot that point as well...very very good point too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll check when I leave work tonight...I've never really though about it as I've always driven stick by feel more than looking at the tac. I actually had a car way back that was manual and had no tachometer (well it had a tac it just didn't work).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jp, yeah my hill assist is on! Ive read how to turn it off. But diddnt give it a go yet. Would that make a significant difference?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so i just stepped out of work here to try and turn it off according to how i read.. The whole wheel to the left, push the ESC 4 times blah blah... and it diddnt seem to work (or flash 4 times like it said) can anyone whos turned it off confirm how this is done for me?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Can't help you with turning the HSA off since mine was done through my EVIC, but I noticed a big difference. Also do the throttle calibration (lots of threads/posts with direction), that helped as well.

Another question, have you checked the fluid level? Mine was at about 1.5 qts when I drained with 2800 miles on it, refilled with 2 qts of Pennzoil Synchromesh and it run noticeably more smooth in between gears, although I don't think there was much difference starting out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Over the past 40+ years I've owned 10 vehicles with manual transmissions and driven numerous others. My Wrangler was by far the toughest to get used to, and I believe there are a number of factors. The hydraulic clutch offers very little feedback to your left leg and the drive by wire offers very little feedback to your right. Give it about 500 miles, try the throttle calibration, try turning off the HSA. Eventually you become one with the machine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts