Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions from those on this forum that seem to have become experts on putting lifts on your TJ's. First, I would have preferred not to lift my Jeep, but when I put new 7.5 inch wide wheels and 31/10.50 tires on, it kicked my tread 2 inches past the original fender flares. I decided that I would put after market flares on and went with Rugged Ridge all terrain flare kit, which is a 4 and 3/4 inch flare, and it covers my tread perfectly. The problem is it is now too close to the tops of my tires and any driving off road is sure to rip them off.

Being 65 years old, I am not into "climbing" into my Jeep, but prefer, "sliding" into my Jeep, so I have arrived at adding a leveling kit with shocks that will lift my jeep enough to do the light weight wheeling I do with my friends. My question and concern is, will it throw off the stock ride and geometry by going just 2 inches with coil spring spacers? I don't want to go through all the time and money realizing I screwed up. From what I have so far gathered, putting in a leveling kit is fairly mild to the ride and handling of a stock Jeep

Let me say it is cool to read the threads of many of you lifting your Jeeps, I too have been cool back in my day building high end hot rods, but the big difference is you lower hot rods instead of raising them. Thank you for your input

·
Registered
446 Posts
The actual ride of the Jeep with a 2" lift won't change too much other than slightly more body roll with a higher center of gravity. With a proper alignment you won't notice a big difference. The nice thing with spacers is the spring rates you're used to will be the about the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual ride of the Jeep with a 2" lift won't change too much other than slightly more body roll with a higher center of gravity. With a proper alignment you won't notice a big difference. The nice thing with spacers is the spring rates you're used to will be the about the same.
Thanks, I have read many reviews of the different brands available, and they all say pretty much the same thing. I like this forum because you get the straight talk, not some company plant giving a shining review. I have settled on a brand, and I can see everything is very straight forward for a easy install. Thanks again for your comments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts