Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my dealer is installing an old man emu lift on my jeep and I found out the other day it is the medium duty kit. Can anyone with the medium duty chime in with how much lift you got and what I should expect?

I can find threads saying light duty yielded 2 inches and heavy duty more like 3.5. Just wondering about medium.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are you installing a MetalCloak system with old man emu shocks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I am not sure. The dealer ordered it and said they got the medium duty. They typically install the mopar 2"but I wanted more than 2". They said they ordered all the parts to bring it to par with the mopar kit which made me feel better since it involves track bars, end links etc. I just have heard a lot of the OMEs except the medium kit.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would definitely check on what they ordered. A friend of mine ordered a medium duty kit from a parts house for his TJ.

Afterwards, he called OME and found out they only make light and heavy duty.

It turns out that the parts house was calling a kit with light duty rear springs and heavy duty front springs a "medium kit".

After talking to OME, he called the parts house and got them to swap out the springs.

OME makes good stuff. I would call them directly to make sure you're getting the right stuff.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had heard that too. I also read from some one that that wasn't all that bad since the front end required the heavy weight via bumper, winch etc and as long as you didn't have heavy rear bumper, armor etc then the lights in the rear were better because they rode much better. It also said the HDS with no added weight in the rear will be bouncy.

End of the day I just wanted 2.5 inches of lift. With OME, although nice stuff, it's kind of a guessing game it seems.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
OME has a suspension selector on their website that might help you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OME makes medium springs for the JK, I took a set off mine a couple months ago. Gave about 2.75-30" of lift....matched with some RS9000XL shocks (#29 front and #30 rear)....for a 2DR its a great combination.....the only issue I had was weight with 4 people and their packs/camping gear....other than that plenty of flex and a fantastic ride.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
OME tries to do what other lift manufacturers don't do to help their buyers select coils and shops can't seem to understand it. Look at OME site with all of the options for the JK and you will that every single one of their lifts is designed for the same amount of lift. The different options are designed to accommodate varying amount of JK weight due to bumpers, winches etc.

Old Man Emu Suspension Selector | ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension

the so-called light is probably the one designed for stock JKs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OME tries to do what other lift manufacturers don't do to help their buyers select coils and shops can't seem to understand it. Look at OME site with all of the options for the JK and you will that every single one of their lifts is designed for the same amount of lift. The different options are designed to accommodate varying amount of JK weight due to bumpers, winches etc.

Old Man Emu Suspension Selector | ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension

the so-called light is probably the one designed for stock JKs.
Exactly, and great point. When I originally bought mine I went with the HD, and they were a bit too stiff and sat me about 3.5", MD ended up perfect for a 2DR with a winch and steel bumper in the front, no armor and stock rear bumper.
If you are stock I recommend the Light Duty, if fully armored with heavy bumpers I'd recommend the Heavy Duty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the option for guys who want only 2.5 inches but have front and rear bumpers and winch? The medium sounds too light duty and the HD nets over 3 from everything I have heard.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Don't get the HD coils. They're too stiff. I
ran them for about 6 months in my 07 then swapped them out for mediums before my kidneys went out.

I have mediums on 2012 my 2 door now. Netted 3" up front and 2.75 out back. They included shims to level out the rear. I have a 9.5k winch, steel bumpers front and rear, full skid plates, 35's and hardtop. Pushing close to 5K curb weight.

One thing to note.

In the summer when you take the doors, hard top, back seat and spare tire off.
It sits high, really high! You have to jump and do a monkey swing off the roll bar to get in.

Ride quality is excellent as is flex and durability. Good choice on the OME.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Only putting this in for future reference. I ordered the Heavy Heavy kit for my '12 JK Sport.
I had the Heavy kit on my TJ...and it rode great and worked very well. I had aftermarket bumpers, winch rails and tools and stuff in the back end of the TJ and that suspension was GREAT!
For the JK I have winch New bumper front and rear and tire carrier as well as the rails. I also will be carrying the same tools and recovery gear for the most part.

5 years of satisfaction with the TJ OME kit pushed me this way. I looked at most everything else but kept coming back here.....

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went with light duty front and Medium rears because Im not going with a winch in the front and I just have a 35 spare in the back. It sits a little over 2.5 more like slightly under 3" like 2.75 and I have a JKU as well. Here is a pic. Stock compare to the OME lift with 35s

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with light duty front and Medium rears because Im not going with a winch in the front and I just have a 35 spare in the back. It sits a little over 2.5 more like slightly under 3" like 2.75 and I have a JKU as well. Here is a pic. Stock compare to the OME lift with 35s

Very nice to hear that the lights and mediums still yield 2.5+ My concern was that u would be at 2 inches and that wasn't enough for what I wanted.

The green 2 doors looks good too!

·
Registered
374 Posts
ran them for about 6 months in my 07 then swapped them out for mediums before my kidneys went out.
The HD coils ARE NOT too stiff IF you have added weight like bumpers and winch and it depends if you run 10 ply E-Loads tires with higher PSI that will influence the stiffness. My 08 JKU with LOD front/rear bumpers, Warn XD9000i winch, 35's and running OME LT nitro charger shocks she rides like a caddy and she flex's nice!

I netted out just over 3.75" of lift with the OME HD with stock bumpers but when I added weight it dropped to about 3.25" and has not sagged since installation and I have been running this lift for nearly 5 years now.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts

I have mediums on 2012 my 2 door now. Netted 3" up front and 2.75 out back. They included shims to level out the rear. I have a 9.5k winch, steel bumpers front and rear, full skid plates, 35's and hardtop. Pushing close to 5K curb weight.

One thing to note.

In the summer when you take the doors, hard top, back seat and spare tire off.
It sits high, really high! You have to jump and do a monkey swing off the roll bar to get in.

Ride quality is excellent as is flex and durability. Good choice on the OME.
The HD coils ARE NOT too stiff IF you have added weight like bumpers and winch and it depends if you run 10 ply E-Loads tires with higher PSI that will influence the stiffness. My 08 JKU with LOD front/rear bumpers, Warn XD9000i winch, 35's and running OME LT nitro charger shocks she rides like a caddy and she flex's nice!

I netted out just over 3.75" of lift with the OME HD with stock bumpers but when I added weight it dropped to about 3.25" and has not sagged since installation and I have been running this lift for nearly 5 years now.

Appreciate the opinions....I did run the HEavy/ Heavy on the TJ with Bumpers and spare in the tub and winch...I also aired down to about 26-28psi in the Duratracs.......I suspect it will be fine...the bumpers I am adding are not light...close to 180lbs hanging on the front end.....total weight new bumper and winch..according to websites.....and the rear I know should be a solid 130lbs.....plus recovery gear and tools....I think I will be okay.

The TJ sat "HIGH" also for a 2.5 lift and 1.25 BL....take a look.....

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts