Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading thread on death wobble. Is this only on newer Jeeps or is it an ongoing problem. Has Jeep come up with any factory remedies? Mine is my wifes daily driver and don't want her to have to deal with this issue. Jeep should have come up with a solution by now.:confused:

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Have been reading thread on death wobble. Is this only on newer Jeeps or is it an ongoing problem. Has Jeep come up with any factory remedies? Mine is my wifes daily driver and don't want her to have to deal with this issue. Jeep should have come up with a solution by now.:confused:
Welcome to the forum.

The reason Death Wobble hasn't been fixed by Chrysler yet is because of Kjeeper10. It's a known problem.

·
The Bad Guy
23,179 Posts
It is a rare problem and mainly affects modified vehicles. It is not a "Jeep problem". I't's a issue with any solid axle vehicle. Keep your vehicle ptoperly maintained and you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I remember a F-350 I had about 20+ years ago that had a serious case of DW. Back in those days we really didn't know too much about it and the only fix that I knew of was steering stabilizers. Here is a picture of the front end....you can see 4 of the 7 steering stabilizers that were on it! I can't believe I drive it with those pink headlight covers!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
7 stabilizers! That is an AWESOME solution! I had DW, now masked with only 1 stabilizer (!), and I can live with it. I checked land cruiser and range rover forums and they had plenty of DW posts, too, so it truly is endemic to a solid front axle.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Have you really been reading the thread?

My recollection is that it's pretty clear in that thread that DW is a rare but possible consequence of having a solid front axle along with "loosey-goosey" suspension components, mainly the trackbar.

So it's rare, but possible, in any solid front axle vehicle. The only "factory remedy" possible I'm aware of would be going to an independent front suspension rather than a solid front axle, which (absent using a very expensive IFS set up) would very much compromise the offroad abilities of the Wrangler. So that's a non-starter.

With all that in mind--no, there is no factory remedy and there won't be unless Jeep substantially redesigns the wrangler as less of an "offroad" vehicle. Yes, it's possible on all wranglers that came before and is possible on all solid front axle vehicles. Yes, it's possible on your wife's jeep, though it's very, very rare. Keep your suspension components properly torqued, and you should almost certainly never encounter it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2011 JKU Sport, stock suspension, 13K miles. Had the DW about a month ago. Took it in to the dealer and they want to balance wheels, do alignment, and replace steering stabilizer. I told them to retorque everything as per the sticky thread on this forum. They ended up doing balance, (said my tires were starting to cup, I call BS) replacing stabilizer, and retorqueing(sp?). Told the service writer it was on his dime to do alignment. He didn't. So far no more issues. It is not a daily driver, pretty much weekends or a trip to town after work, so time will tell.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you really been reading the thread?

My recollection is that it's pretty clear in that thread that DW is a rare but possible consequence of having a solid front axle along with "loosey-goosey" suspension components, mainly the trackbar.

So it's rare, but possible, in any solid front axle vehicle. The only "factory remedy" possible I'm aware of would be going to an independent front suspension rather than a solid front axle, which (absent using a very expensive IFS set up) would very much compromise the offroad abilities of the Wrangler. So that's a non-starter.

With all that in mind--no, there is no factory remedy and there won't be unless Jeep substantially redesigns the wrangler as less of an "offroad" vehicle. Yes, it's possible on all wranglers that came before and is possible on all solid front axle vehicles. Yes, it's possible on your wife's jeep, though it's very, very rare. Keep your suspension components properly torqued, and you should almost certainly never encounter it.
Very very rare has occured. All componets are properly torqued. Had it happen the other night. Glad I wasn't going 70 mph might have been a bad situation.:nonono:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Very very rare has occured. All componets are properly torqued. Had it happen the other night. Glad I wasn't going 70 mph might have been a bad situation.:nonono:
Whoa. If you've really got DW (not a given . . . do you have to come to a complete stop to get the vibrations to quit?), then either get under it yourself with Planman's sticky thread checklist or get it to a qualified mechanic with the checklist, and find the source. My understanding is that it is very much likely related to trackbar.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
BadOleRoss said:
I remember a F-350 I had about 20+ years ago that had a serious case of DW. Back in those days we really didn't know too much about it and the only fix that I knew of was steering stabilizers. Here is a picture of the front end....you can see 4 of the 7 steering stabilizers that were on it! I can't believe I drive it with those pink headlight covers!
Fantastic rofl . That's pre ram assist.

How about rear axle SS's? Lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just read a thread, maybe it is the trackbar. Will check it out first. Only has 35,000 on it. Hoping I would never see it myself. Had to come to almost a complete stop to stop it. Don't think the wife could handle it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ESP said:
This is the funniest thing I have ever seen.
You say funny, I just say DAMN!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Believe it or not, when I did that, it was actually a kit that was designed just for that purpose. Those 4 stabilizers and the mount is not something I fabricated. It was not uncommon to have a set up like that on the front of a lifted truck back in the 80s. The 80s were awesome!

·
Registered
356 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts