Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The missus and I spent Sunday and Monday exploring the Old Woman Mountains a bit. What a neat place, and it doesn't seem like it gets a whole lot of visitors. At least the few tire tracks we saw had definitely been there awhile. Hoping to do a bit more exploring out there before it gets too hot. Has anybody else done any exploring around there, any tips on spots to see?

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know about the area, but thats an AWESOME tire cover ! GKG

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Got maps? My wife and I volunteered for BLM a few years back and our "job" was using a government 4x4 and checking all 18 wilderness areas managed by the Needles Field Office. We spent 3 months doing nothing but driving around those wilderness areas as well as every cherry stem road, pounded a lot of Carsonite wilderness boundary signs, and generally enjoyed the scenery and solitude, Even had the bad luck of finding a fellow deceased in his car. Carbon monoxide got him... he was using a charcoal heater inside his car. We didn't see much for wildlife anywhere in the area.

We really like the Turtle Mountains about the best for scenery and rock hounding. If you go, if you find a set of keys, my wife lost hers 10 years ago or so.

My tips for exploring those areas is air down, and those cherry stem roads all go to old mines or springs. Here is the BLM map of the Old Woman Mountain Wilderness...

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pa/wilderness/maps_1page.Par.68019.File.dat/old_woman_mountains.pdf

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got maps? My wife and I volunteered for BLM a few years back and our "job" was using a government 4x4 and checking all 18 wilderness areas managed by the Needles Field Office. We spent 3 months doing nothing but driving around those wilderness areas as well as every cherry stem road, pounded a lot of Carsonite wilderness boundary signs, and generally enjoyed the scenery and solitude, Even had the bad luck of finding a fellow deceased in his car. Carbon monoxide got him... he was using a charcoal heater inside his car. We didn't see much for wildlife anywhere in the area.

We really like the Turtle Mountains about the best for scenery and rock hounding. If you go, if you find a set of keys, my wife lost hers 10 years ago or so.

My tips for exploring those areas is air down, and those cherry stem roads all go to old mines or springs. Here is the BLM map of the Old Woman Mountain Wilderness...

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pa/wilderness/maps_1page.Par.68019.File.dat/old_woman_mountains.pdf
That sounds like it was an awesome experience! The Turtle Mountains are definitely on the list of places to visit.

Yup, that's the map we were using! I did a little dogging around and found an old topo map with mines and prospects labeled, so next time we'll know where to go looking around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts