Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I knew I read somewhere that it could cause some idling issues and you're right about the blockage. Thanks for helping me out with this! I think I read somewhere in here about some owners attaching a bottle to collect some fluids. I'll look into that for the intake hose.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No Problem! Also maybe I worded it a bit different.

The Intake side can be just let alone. I'd put a small filter on it to prevent things from getting in, however. The Outlet side needs to be routed back to the Intake Manifold OR have a Recovery tank hooked up to it. Or you'll have Oil everywhere as you do now lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Such a newbie on all this! Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'm gonna assume this is the cause of my small oil leak.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's a good easy fix to track it down. You can definitely get oil out of that cut hose like I did on mine. I haven't used any oil since I fixed mine. Get it fixed, keep track of oil and if it still uses a lot get back to us and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Was putting the main case back together and when I got done, I finally got around to checking out my muffler. I could see it had a couple dings and dents just wanted to make sure there were no holes. Then I noticed it said Flowmaster lol. No wonder it sounded louder than the others :p

Gotta trace down a exhaust leak somewhere. It's pretty strong in the cab and neighbor noticed it somewhere underneath (it was cold and I just started it).

Are these things prone to leaks in a particular area or should I just start looking?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, while waiting for parts to come, I've been contemplating life. In this case life in the guise of a D35 rear end. I don't "hardcore" offroad much and run 31's so figured I'd stay with them and get some 4.10 gears.

My mother-in-law is up visiting for a week and it suddenly occurred to me...
7 months ago her SUV transmission died. At the time I told it it wasn't worth fixing cause it also need too much interior, body, engine work to make it worthwhile. So she came up in December and I sent her home in a 1999 Dodge Durango with the 5.2 motor.

Anyways long story short, as I was reviewing the D35 and alternatives, it suddenly occurred to me. Her broken transmissioned 1997 Explorer is still sitting in the backyard.....

I'm thinking of snagging the 8.8 off of it when I take her back home Monday :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
SO finally got my transfer case back together. Unfortunately, the shift fork has been grinded pretty damn good on the top. Can't even put a new pad on it. But I need my rig back so it'll have to wait.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bad News: GOt the wife's Durango stuck in the mud in our backyard
Good News: The Jeep's 4x4 and winch works really good

Good News: Tok the Jeep into town today for the first time since redoing everything. TC doesn't leak and works great
Bad News: Got a U joint worn. Didn't even think of it when I had the drive line off.

I'm pretty sure it's the Joint. Slight vibration from a stop for the first 5 mph, then stops until about 45 then starts vibrating again (not real bad, just noticeable). Grabbed the Shaft when I got home. The front of the Rear Shaft is rock solid. The rear of the Rear Shaft moves a bit and clunks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
While I was replacing a joint last night (har har) I noticed one of the Saddles for the Differential UJoint was cracked. Replaced it today. Also, my winch cable near the hook was frayed like a cotton. Picked up 3 Cable Clamps and a Thimble. Had the Neighbor weld the newly cut end so it doesn't fray then put it all together. Took the Doors off for my first ever ride without doors. Man, I kept thinking I was going to fall out LOL.

Anyways, everything is working like it should and NOTHING is leaking at all (parked it for 24 hrs over a white towel after driving it for 20 mins. Well, I take that back, it does need a little exhaust work but nothing that can't wait.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also go ahold of a trailer that will be built for the jeep.

I need something to haul trash, etc in but the wife and I also LOVE to camp. Picked this up today for CHEAP:

So for the TRAILER portion I'm going to add 2' high walls on the 3 sides with 2x4 supports:

Then I'll make a TOTALLY seperate "roof attachment" with 2' walls that will be held down with heavy duty latches:

The roof will house 2 batteries, lights, and a shelf to put a laptop to watch DVD's and to store clothing, etc.

I'm going to raise the floor about 4" (with blocks) so incorporate taller tires (my friend says Honda Tires will fit these 4 lugs) and after measurements, I just need another 4" to make it work. Also going to figure out what kind of door system I want. Haven't decided to just make 4' vertical doors at the end that are permanent on the trailer, a huge single "fold down ramp" style that's mounted on the end or 2 separate horizontal doors. I'm probably gonna go with 2 Horizontal doors with the trailer one that flips down for a ramp and the Roof part flips up for shade/awning.

This way I keep my 8' trailer to use as a carry-all and with about 15-30 minutes work be ready to go camping!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So I'm out spring cleaning everything when I noticed some tires. Turns out when I bought my Tent Trailer 2 years ago, the guy had JUST put on brand new wheels and tires and let me keep the old set which wasn't really anything wrong with em. A little worn but still tons of life on em. I got to looking and they are 4 bolt yay!. Anyways had to raise the bed of the trailer an inch to compensate but got em installed.

Now to finish my Spring Cleaning and then to start making the "Camper" part of my trailer. Also snagged some metal today to make my Permanent Mirror brackets. Will post that when it's done.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Made my own Mirror/Light brackets today. So far it's costed me about $12 to make em. Gonna buy end caps on Monday so another $1.50 and they are done. Will also be picking up Lights on Monday.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got my 3rd toggle switch in. The Racing "Flip Types" Red for Bumper lights, Green for Windshield Lights and Blue for Reverse Working lights.

Also did the Headlight Relay Mod while waiting for parts:
Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - JeepForum.com

DEFINITELY an improvement. I took engine off readings 3x:
Low: 11.17v
High: 10.51v
Low: 11.08v
High: 10.61v
Low: 11.16v
High: 10.60v

Did the mod and took another set of readings:
Low: 11.76v
High: 11.68v
Low: 11.79v
High: 11.71v
Low: 11.74v
High: 11.74v (fluke? lol)

The High beams are a HUGE difference. The Low beams are definitely noticeable though.

Highly recommended ya'll do it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Replaced the 10 Gauge wire providing power to my extra Fuse Block and re-wired it with 4 gauge. Now all 6 terminals can juice up on power if needed. Each terminal can handle 30 amps.
Terminal
1 10 amps
2 10 amps
3 16.5 amps
4 16.5 amps
5 MAX of 33 amps (has a 30 amp fuse though for my Amplifier)
6 20 amps for Trailer Power (Battery recharge)

So at MAX amperage I would be using 103 but I seriously doubt I'll ever do that lol.

Dremeled my HF LIghts. They have notches for adjustments and you either get them a bit too high or a bit too low. Dremeled the notches out and added a thin sheet of rubber. Now they adjust PERFECTLY.

Tomorrow gonna hook up my CB. Decided to use my itty bitty Uniden instead of my Cobra 29. The Uniden tucks perfectly in the lockable center console. The Cobra would be a pain in the arse to mount.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So while cleaning up some things, I came across a label on my Leaf Springs.

I have a Superlift 01-540-F6 springs in the front which equate out to a 3.5" lift.

Just updating the Project with new found information

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sod our camping trailer today. She let me upgrade my CB form the money

I have a boosted 29 LTDNW but it's just too dang big for the jeep. So I used her old Uniden 510 and i hated the damn thing lol.

Love the new one :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Have you used it yet? What do you think?
I'm considering moving up from a 30 year old cobra to the bearcat 880.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts