Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a daily driver that MUST be ready to hunt and travel farm back roads at anytime. NOTE: daily drive is on Arkansas country highways... so similar to Baja. LOL
I'm going with 33" Toyo A/Ts.

I had my heart set on the OME 2" Light lift kit. Adding a $100 AEV drop bracket would bring the total to about $975.
I then realized the Metalcloak Touring kit and Rancho 9000 shocks was about $289 more.

Is the Metalcloak worth the extra cash? I'm not sure what I'm getting with the extra $289.

Thanks for yall's help!

·
Registered
653 Posts
MC GameChanger owner here. I also was bouncing between AEV and MC kits... Figured out that the AEV kit you can't grow into... and if you try to grow into an AEV kit - you would be near replacing/adding parts it didn't come with (control arms, swaybar links, etc).

Let's assume you get the AEV DualSport SC and you wanted to get disconnects (that's a 20% replacement right there).

*An awfully pricey kit for what is essentially brackets and springs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Trim your stock fenders, or buy some higher clearance flatties and skip the lift for 33s. If your heart is set on lifting (and it need not be) get something shorter. Despite what anyone will tell you to self justify the money they spent, none of the lifts you mentioned will be "better than stock", and none of them are needed to completely clear 33's.

I lifted 1.5" with a performance leveling kit for 33's, added disconnects, and it was more lift than needed for full articulation. If I was where you are, I'd add flatties, a JKS swaybar disconnect set, and always be ready to roll.

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
I have a daily driver that MUST be ready to hunt and travel farm back roads at anytime. NOTE: daily drive is on Arkansas country highways... so similar to Baja. LOL
I'm going with 33" Toyo A/Ts.

I had my heart set on the OME 2" Light lift kit. Adding a $100 AEV drop bracket would bring the total to about $975.
I then realized the Metalcloak Touring kit and Rancho 9000 shocks was about $289 more.

Is the Metalcloak worth the extra cash? I'm not sure what I'm getting with the extra $289.

Thanks for yall's help!
I'm not a huge fan of the OME's, they are missing a lot of parts to complete their kits...

The MC kits are good, but with your usage, I would comment that their spring rates are a little higher than most and can be a bit firm feeling on the road.

I would look closely at the WF most popular set up with a set of Rancho shocks. The 9000XL's are plush and the 5000X is more performance oriented. It is in the price range you are talking about.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a huge fan of the OME's, they are missing a lot of parts to complete their kits...

The MC kits are good, but with your usage, I would comment that their spring rates are a little higher than most and can be a bit firm feeling on the road.

I would look closely at the WF most popular set up with a set of Rancho shocks. The 9000XL's are plush and the 5000X is more performance oriented. It is in the price range you are talking about.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html
THANKS! you may not believe this... but after posting this question I put this EXACT setup together. Mainly because of the great deal Nridge4x4 has going on this lift and 9000xl shock. (50% off shocks with the lift)

You have helped confirmed my choice and I think I'm going to pull the trigger and put this to rest!

Thanks everyone for your help!

:dance:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeep wranger.jpg

TERAFLEX JK 2 DOOR OR 4 DOOR, 2.5 INCH LIFT KIT - TER1351000
2 x Rancho JK RS9000XL Series Front Shock, 4" Lift - RS999329
2 x Rancho JK RS9000XL Series Rear Shock, 4" Lift - RS999330
TEARFLEX JK STEERING STABILIZER RELOCATION BRACKET KIT - TER1980880
JKS JEEP JK JSPEC STEERING STABILIZER - JSPEC1000
RANCHO CONTROL ARM CORRECTION BRACKETS - RS6250B
TERAFLEX 1055000 WHEEL ADAPTERS - 1.25” SPACERS - 1055000
MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA STZ ALL-TERRAIN RADIAL TIRE - LT275/70R18 125S 90000001510

RIDE IS AMAZING! I should have done this 130,000 miles ago. It's a different vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts