Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I just recently came across this newer kit and only found 2 fairly basic reviews so far. Is anyone else on WF running the BP-51 shocks or the full 4" OME kit that can share their experience?

From what I've found a few people are running the shocks with existing AEV 3.5 kits with fairly impressive results but I'd love to know if anyone is working toward a build using these or the full OME kit?

I'm deciding on a new suspension setup right now, but want to stay in the 3-3.5" range. I'm may go the guinea pig route and piece something together around these but they look pretty solid, thoughts?

ARB info...
ARB 4×4 Accessories | BP-51 (Bypass 51mm Diameter Bore) Shock Absorbers

Full kit...
Old Man Emu OMEJKBP51 - Old Man Emu 4" Suspension System With BP-51 Shocks for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

One of the few (2) reviews I can find...
Reviewed: ARB BP-51 - Jeep JK - Main Line Overland

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What kjeeper said. $3500 and you don't even get any arms or a rear TB? If you are going to go that route, at least ditch the cam bolts and use some good lower front arms.

·
Registered
353 Posts
One expensive kit without CA's. Awesome looking shocks though.
$2,000 of that kit is shocks .........that's about the least expensive bypass shocks I've seen though.
A set of fox bypass run about $3,000.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I agree. I think that's why the few that have the shocks are just upgrading existing AEV kits instead of going with the full OME kit. I think if you paired these with one of the more complete TF/RK/MC kits that are shock-less it might be a nice setup?

I'm mostly interested in trying the shocks out more than anything, the full kit itself leaves a bit to be desired, although as tx2whlr pointed out, the shocks are $2k of the 3.5k technically...

Hmm.. They are just so pretty to look at :happyyes:

What kjeeper said. $3500 and you don't even get any arms or a rear TB? If you are going to go that route, at least ditch the cam bolts and use some good lower front arms.

·
Super Moderator
14,549 Posts
Lots of $$...

I think I would just have Doetsch build a set custom for less...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The shocks are AWESOME!!! The completely change the ride in ways that are sooooo much better. Even lifted 4" with 37's the OME BP-51's make my Jeep ride even better than it did at stock height factory tires on the way home from the dealership.

Installing the shocks sucks badly, and they can't even be installed as is unless you custom fab something. If you want them to work with your factory JK mounts then you'll need to buy the front and rear install kits that are sold separately.

Also I think they are valved for a 4 door, so if you have a 2 door they will be just slightly firmer than what would be ideal, so you would need to adjust them 1 click less firm on a 2 door than a 4 door, but softening up the shocks also allows more nose lift/squat when accelerating, dive on braking, and allows the Jeep to lean slightly more than wanted when cornering.

So a notch higher and all the squat/dive/lean firms up, but now the small event compliance becomes more noticeable.

Fortunately the adjusters aren't "clickers" which limit you to one setting or another. The adjusters are variable, so if you really wanted you can play with them very slightly until you feel satisfied with the softness, yet also comfortable with the firmness, but basically you're trading one unwanted thing for another unwanted thing.

Overall I give the shocks a 4 out of 5.

I deducted half a point because they are a royal pain to install and you have to buy separate front and rear mounting kits. They are also really big requiring lots of clearance, and I had to chop my rear trackbar mount with a sawzall to provide room for the axle to compress without the trackbar bracket hitting the shock.

I deducted another half a point, because even though the custom front and rear mounting kits are required, they're not the only things needed to install these shocks. The custom mounting brackets don't work with the factory brakelines, so custom brake line relocation brackets had to be fabricated.

Overall these shocks cost as much each, as a full set of quality shocks cost. So is the ride quality improvement good enough to justify the price increase?

That depends... how sensitive is your butt dyno?

IMO they're a giant improvement over the Rancho 9000xl's that I was running before.

However, after the first few days of "Wow! These ride much smoother!" I was right back at noticing bumps and harshness like I did before. So while they ARE an improvement, eventually you'll get used to them, and start noticing crappy roads just like you did before.

So after a few days of getting used to them, I started noticing harsh spots in their performance and I dialed the compression and rebound levels down.

That made bumps a lot softer, but also handling became soft. The Jeep now leans in corners, squats in the rear when I accelerate, and rises in the front. It's a more comfortable straight line ride, but much worse in corners, clover leafs, sweeping turns etc...

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The shocks are AWESOME!!! The completely change the ride in ways that are sooooo much better. Even lifted 4" with 37's the OME BP-51's make my Jeep ride even better than it did at stock height factory tires on the way home from the dealership. Installing the shocks sucks badly, and they can't even be installed as is unless you custom fab something. If you want them to work with your factory JK mounts then you'll need to buy the front and rear install kits that are sold separately. Also I think they are valved for a 4 door, so if you have a 2 door they will be just slightly firmer than what would be ideal, so you would need to adjust them 1 click less firm on a 2 door than a 4 door, but softening up the shocks also allows more nose lift/squat when accelerating, dive on braking, and allows the Jeep to lean slightly more than wanted when cornering. So a notch higher and all the squat/dive/lean firms up, but now the small event compliance becomes more noticeable. Fortunately the adjusters aren't "clickers" which limit you to one setting or another. The adjusters are variable, so if you really wanted you can play with them very slightly until you feel satisfied with the softness, yet also comfortable with the firmness, but basically you're trading one unwanted thing for another unwanted thing. Overall I give the shocks a 4 out of 5. I deducted half a point because they are a royal pain to install and you have to buy separate front and rear mounting kits. They are also really big requiring lots of clearance, and I had to chop my rear trackbar mount with a sawzall to provide room for the axle to compress without the trackbar bracket hitting the shock. I deducted another half a point, because even though the custom front and rear mounting kits are required, they're not the only things needed to install these shocks. The custom mounting brackets don't work with the factory brakelines, so custom brake line relocation brackets had to be fabricated. Overall these shocks cost as much each, as a full set of quality shocks cost. So is the ride quality improvement good enough to justify the price increase? That depends... how sensitive is your butt dyno? IMO they're a giant improvement over the Rancho 9000xl's that I was running before. However, after the first few days of "Wow! These ride much smoother!" I was right back at noticing bumps and harshness like I did before. So while they ARE an improvement, eventually you'll get used to them, and start noticing crappy roads just like you did before. So after a few days of getting used to them, I started noticing harsh spots in their performance and I dialed the compression and rebound levels down. That made bumps a lot softer, but also handling became soft. The Jeep now leans in corners, squats in the rear when I accelerate, and rises in the front. It's a more comfortable straight line ride, but much worse in corners, clover leafs, sweeping turns etc...
Post is pointless without pics jus sayin.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Nice thanks yea looks like some work to fit. Whats the point of the front brackets ? Do they just move the mount out for frame clearance?
They move the lower mounting point of the shock about 1.5" outboard towards the tires, but pretty much in line with the factory mounting location. The do change the through bolt orientation by 90 degrees also. I know getting closer to the tire is supposed to be better, and maybe the 90 degree rotation will prevent bind as the axle is stuffed and drooped, but I'm only guessing.

The Currie 4" lift I'm running came with lowering brackets for the factory stock brake lines, thus still using the factory brakeline mounting brackets at the axle side. The BP-51 mounts prevent the use of the factory mounting brackets at the axle side, so spacers had to be fabricated.

IMO those spacers should have been provided considering that front and rear mounting kits have to be purchased separately from the shocks... but the brackets were simple to make out of flat stock with a couple of holes drilled into them for the bolts.

The rear shocks were the most pain in the arse. they require spacers, and the bar pins need to be manipulated to get both bolts started. Then the whole mess needs to be lifted into place, and held up with one hand while the other tries to get one of the bolts to start, at an akward angle, withought dropping the heavy shock on your face... which I did and ended up with a black eye for about a week... :blackeye

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The Jeep these are on:
Are you running the OME lift? Did you ever run a caster check? I know they use cam bolts and caster is at the mercy of them (no adjustment)
With that said low caster not only causes a flighty feel to the steering, also changes the way the front reacts to the road. Adding arms after my first lift dramatically helped the ride.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Are you running the OME lift? Did you ever run a caster check? I know they use cam bolts and caster is at the mercy of them (no adjustment)
With that said low caster not only causes a flighty feel to the steering, also changes the way the front reacts to the road. Adding arms after my first lift dramatically helped the ride.
You must've been typing your reply at the same time I was because I answered your question in the post right above yours, but only by a minute...

I'm running the entry level Currie 4" kit that only has adjustable uppers, springs, bump stop extensions, brake line relocation brackets, sway bar link extensions, raised front and rear track bar brackets, (the rear bracket has to be chopped to run these shocks) and a dropped pitman arm.

As far as steering response is concerned, I'm running PSC Hydro assisted steering, so mine is razor blade sharp to the point of being unforgivingly precise, and bump steer, death wobble, etc are non issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts