Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a center pin only necessary when you are using shims or spacers with the leaf springs?? I did not have a center pin when I installed the front leafs a while back.. I am about to install the rear leafs with angles shims and noticed the hole for the center pins,,, am I correct in assuming that the center pins are only necessary when using shims or spacers??? Thanks! Just wanna make sure I did the fronts correctly and will do the tears correctly as well!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is a center pin only necessary when you are using shims or spacers with the leaf springs?? I did not have a center pin when I installed the front leafs a while back.. I am about to install the rear leafs with angles shims and noticed the hole for the center pins,,, am I correct in assuming that the center pins are only necessary when using shims or spacers??? Thanks! Just wanna make sure I did the fronts correctly and will do the rears correctly as well!

·
Registered
665 Posts
No, the center bolts are what keep the leaves from shifting and locate the springs on the axle. They are a must,unless you want to loose spring leaves and have the axle get loose.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, so I was a bit confused,, the springs come with a center pin that is already keeping the leafs together,. Is the pin supposed to be bolted under the spring plate or just under the shims? Thanks again

·
Registered
41 Posts
The spring plate should have a hole in the middle of it that allows it to clear the pin nut, and fit flat against the spring. The pin end goes through any shims and should be long enough to stab into the spring perch hole but not so long it hits the axle before the spring is flat against the axle. You can lose your steering and kill someone, if the locatin pins aren't properly in the locater holes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool, that clears that up! Thanks,, next question- do the angled shims attach on the top of the leaf between the leaf and the perch? Or do they attach to the bottom of the leaf between the leaf and spring plate??? Thanks again dudes

·
Registered
316 Posts
They go on top of the leaf springs, between the springs and the rearend housing. You also want the thickest part of the shim facing the front of the Jeep.

·
Registered
316 Posts
By having a shim with the thick end toward the front it tilts the pinion upward. Helps with pinion angles because of the lift.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Are you SO or SU, If you are SU the shims go over the springs and under the axle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It just sits there and gets held in place by the pin and the clamping pressure of the U bolts. I cant tell for sure from your picture but you want to make sure that pin sticks above the shim. That pin has to locate the springs to the rearend housing. If its not tall enough you will need a different one.
If they are short look in your lift kit and see if it didnt come with taller pins.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You should be good. I just couldnt tell for sure by the angle of the picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts