Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating which OME shocks to buy with a MetalCloak 2.5" lift that I'm ordering. The OME "L" shocks seem
rather long for a 2.5" lift, but that's what MetalCloak sells with both their 2.5" and 3.5" kits. Won't that limit uptravel significantly and require very long bump stops to limit damage to the shock on large bumps? This is to be installed on an '08 JKU. For a rig that's mostly a street DD, isn't uptravel more valuable than downtravel? The OME L's measure out:
Front Shock- 60066L-
Extended 27.28? Collapsed 15.91?
Rear Shock- 60067L-
Extended 27.80? Collapsed 16.61?

Too long?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have their 8-arm setup with those shocks. With factory fenders, you'll need 3" of bumpstop to prevent too much uptravel.

It still articulates pretty well though :)

If you call up Metalcloak and talk to their engineers, they are of the opinion that downtravel is equally as important as uptravel. They design their system for 50/50 up/down.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how true this is, but the suspension does it's job and I have never had to worry about it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have flat fenders installed, so I'm ok as far as uptravel limits with fenders running 35's. Is that the 2.5" springs you're running of the 3.5"? No doubt the 3.5" probably can use the extra length on the OME "L" shocks, but my worry is that they will be too long for the 2.5 springs and limit uptravel.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If fender clearance isn't an issue, the you should be able to run the LT shocks with 2 inch front bumpstops. With 2.5 inches of lift, you should actually gain about 0.5 inches of up travel.

The stock Rubi shocks are 14.75 inches compressed.

Mike

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I already have flat fenders installed, so I'm ok as far as uptravel limits with fenders running 35's. Is that the 2.5" springs you're running of the 3.5"? No doubt the 3.5" probably can use the extra length on the OME "L" shocks, but my worry is that they will be too long for the 2.5 springs and limit uptravel.
Yes, I'm running the 2.5" springs. I also have heavy fenders and body armor, pulling the Jeep down on the springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts