Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday my oldest daughter who is 25 yoa and I were out on a long mountain bike ride. We were on a narrow two lane road and new gladiator passed us going pretty slow as the driver was obviously a courteous driver. I kid you not my daughter who is not into jeeps or vehicles in general (she drives a CRV and had an outback before that) said "dad was that a jeep pickup?" I said yes it was a new model that just came out. She said, i kid you not "that is stupid why would anyone buy one of those?" i said it was cool and she said "it looks too small to haul anything and too big to go where you go in your jeep" I swear she takes after her mother LOL.

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
I liked the Gladiator. It would never be a replacement for my Jeep but a replacement of a mid sized truck I could see that all day long. The same amount of people haul stuff in their trucks as wheel their Jeeps so not a big deal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My fiance had the opposite reaction. Shes not into cars either, was completely happy in her fiesta until the transmission started going. She was looking online for something with AWD and stumbled upon the Gladiator. Said, "thats pretty cool, id be ok if you got one." If I wasnt potentially facing a 100 mile daily drive in a year or so we would have gone to the dealership the next morning.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
You're right, your daughter obviously isn't into vehicles. The crew cab + 5 foot box configuration is hot right now, which is why every automaker that can is jumping into that game. It gives you plenty of room to haul things with a 5 foot box, 6.5 foot load floor with the gate down, plus lockable interior storage in the back row OR you can carry 5 people with seatbelts on all of them. And, with literally 105% more towing capacity than the Wrangler. You can now legally bring a decent sized camper or boat with you. All of this utility, but in a package that will fit in a residential garage.

In addition to that, the Gladiator uses the exact same front 2/3rds as the Wrangler, which means doors, tops, lights, wheels, tires, etc. are all interchangeable.

You can have your cake and eat it too. The Gladiator is genius.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was actually planning on getting the JT next year and was excited for it.... Then I made the mistake of going to a dealer lot and seeing one in person....... PASS!
Can't wait to see a JT in person here in Europe as well. May I ask why you passed after seeing the Gladiator on the lot?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can't wait to see a JT in person here in Europe as well. May I ask why you passed after seeing the Gladiator on the lot?
It just looked odd to me and not proportionate.. The tires and wheel on the one I saw ( I think it was an Overland) looked like they came off a mini van...

I assume if lifted and with bigger tires it would look better but my impression of it was meh as it sat on the lot...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My daughter likes Jeeps, and she really liked the first JT we saw while driving together. Crew cab mid-sized trucks may be all the rage now, but after having owned 2 Tacomas and now a Frontier, I have moved towards them being the worst of both worlds, not the best. Long wheel base with terrible turning radius like a full size, small bed that is great for transporting air on a daily basis except the 2-3 times per month when I really use it and find it is too small, and cramped back seats that don't fit tall and lanky kids and greyhounds. They are definitely "lifestyle" vehicles. If I could afford it, I would likely go for a JLU and use my small utility trailer for loads, and then my daughter and hound could each have their own space instead of piling on top of each other. If I had Jay Leno money, I would definitely own a JT though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think Jeep can charge what they can because there isn't anything like it, but a Jeep pickup - well, unless they can get the price in line with the others, it ain't for me. And I want to add, we have a 2018 Sport S 4 door that has NOT had any of the steering, welds, U-connect, warning lights, leaks, squeaks and bleeps
Probably just jinx myself but my point is, I have a great Jeep and could use a pickup some day, but not at the prices they are asking. Makes me wonder if later on they'll do the RAM thing and have 11K off the sticker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, for me, it is perfect. I have used midsize quad cabs for work for years, I am a land surveyor. All of them have a 5 ft bed and so I am used to putting my boxes in the back of them. This sits high so clearance is better going into the brush and it is still a jeep. So It is a win/win for me. Finally, a jeep that I can use as a survey rig. and haul all my equipment.

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Our biggest issue with Jeeping is fitting all our gear, the wife and the dog. The Gladiator fits that bill perfectly. Low mount RTT with supplies underneath keeping the cabin open for the wife and dog, I could easily see one in my future.

That said...

I have true concerns taking one on the tight trails we do. The last few trips have been with both Jeeps, my 4 door and the wife's 2 door. The 4 door is barely able to navigate the tight trails, to the point it has some nice gashes on the hard top (not to mention tons of pinstripes) That leaves me questioning the the even longer Gladiator in those situations. I don't care about scratches, it's part of the game, but would prefer to avoid body damage.

I have a 1 ton swap for the 4 door on the agenda, then an off road trailer w/RTT, then a '65 Impala rebuild. After that it may be Gladiator time :D

·
Super Moderator
23,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm ready for one.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
It just looked odd to me and not proportionate.. The tires and wheel on the one I saw ( I think it was an Overland) looked like they came off a mini van...

I assume if lifted and with bigger tires it would look better but my impression of it was meh as it sat on the lot...
I agree tire/wheel/height of any vehicle makes it or breaks it. That being said, during the week I spent in a new ‘20 JT Rubicon (thread here: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f1335/first-extended-drive-jt-rubicon-2377669.html ), the look was certainly not a complaint.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reactions: Pressurized
1 - 20 of 27 Posts