Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a scale of 1-10....one being completely dumbfounded when it comes to any car maintenance, and 10 being expert mechanic....what is the skill level needed to replace a clutch DIY style

·
Registered
27 Posts
having the right tools for it will make all the difference in the world...especially a transmission jack.
+1. I have done a number of clutch jobs on other vehicles-actually just BMW's-but always used a combination of a regular floor jack and my arms to remove and reinstall the transmission. When I recently had to remove my automatic transmission from the Jeep, I bought the $80 transmission jack from Harbor Freight and it was worth every penny. If you don't remove the transfer case, then the jack definitely helps to manage the larger size of the transmission/transfer case combination.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I havent done it yet , but have been reading up on it. It doesnt look hard per say, just time consuming. And that transmission jack seems like a must. Other then that, I'd tackle it myself If i ever have to deal with it, save a easy 700$ that way

·
Registered
646 Posts
it's not so much the skill level involved but the patience and tools. plus, there's so much advice online you can be an average joe and still do it. the service manuals are pretty straight forward if you can read.

i would put it this way; 1-10, 1 being easiest and 10 being a biatch. i put it right at 7-8 because of all the stuff you have to remove and remember what bolts are for what. i am not a mechanic by trade but have done enough transmission jobs to say i am competent. the tools you should value is a transmission jack or equivalent...having it fall on your head might hurt a little. but it makes removing and re-installing the trans a lot easier than college chicks LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, thanks for all the advice. So at what point on the scale should I just say screw it and pay someone to do it haha

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice, thanks for all the advice. So at what point on the scale should I just say screw it and pay someone to do it haha
My scale for that question is usually based on if I think I can be without the Jeep for a weekend or more if things go bad.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Definitely DIY if you enjoy working on your Jeep. The job is hard to screw up and relatively easy as far as clutch replacements go and good parts (Luk) are readily available and cheap. When done you will be very satisfied and have some bragging rights among your less adventurous buddies and if you get in a jam you will find plenty of help here.

If you hate working on your Jeep or can't spare a day to work on it then pay someone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Job is pretty straight forward. WaterDog actually has a pretty and extensive video showings almost every step of the way. I followed it and a few write ups to do mine. The jack is with out a doubt a must. Didn't have a harbor freight near me so i rented a pretty heavy duty tranny jack over labor day weekend. took me 3.5 days due to rusted bolts but once the transmission skid plate was off it was all pretty simple. Take your time and watch the videos. Also pay attention to how the bracket is mounted on the transfer case (i installed mine upside down only allowing me to be in 4-lo).

Also, you might as well replace everything in there while you have it apart. Clutch, Fly wheel, through out bearing and clutch fork. For a minor price difference it will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
On a scale of 1-10.... If yer asking.... pay to have it done by a professional.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a big job. It's not complicated, but it's quite involved and you have to remove a ton of stuff to get in there. Between all the jacking up you have to do, parts removal, and rolling around on your back, I'd just hand the job over to a pro. If you have a good garage, all the right tools, and plenty of time, then it''s a fun little project.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
With the right tools a day to kill and the ability lay on your back and work with moderate exertion for a couple hours then go for it

If you cannot physically lay on back and work you gonna have to pay someone else

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Follow Water Dogs advice in his video. I did mine in October and only had the rear frame up 20 inches off the floor. It was a bit tight working under the Jeep and I could not pull the transmission from under it. Next time I will put the front onto ramps and the back in stands hopefully getting the frame 2 feet off the floor of the garage. Also if using the Harbor Freight jack he uses make sure you get a ratcheting strap. I used one but an older version with one of those straps you bring into the buckle and then out the other side to keep it tight. I could not tighten it very well and about rocked the transmission off the jack a time or two. It had been literally 35 years since I did a clutch job and never on a Jeep. since I did not know all the right moves to make it took me around 7 hours. Look at Water dogs tool list and duplicate it. I have 2 2 foot long 3/8 drive extensions and some 3/8 drive universal joints that helped get to the top bell housing bolts. Had a friend hang onto the ratchet and extension while I guided the torx socket onto the bolt. Really not to bad of a job if you do mechanical work. If you don't its a pretty big first project and you may be best off to pay someone to do the work. If you have to buy all the tools to do the job then you will not be saving much but there is an opportunity to learn about your vehicle. I have a few tools even most of the snap-on sockets and wrenches I used in high school 1968 - 1970 vocational automotive class.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Got it done professionally for $225 plus parts! Which I bought at wholesale price
That's not bad on labor IMO. It's a pretty serious job. I did it in one evening on my last jeep, but I was sore as hell the next day.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If I can do it in 5 or 6 hours at age 67, you young pups ought to be able to whip it out in about 20 minutes.....:rofl2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts