Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so long story short. I have a lot of experience with pneumatics and was going to take a nice viar compressor off my project truck (AKA paperweight) and put it to use. on board air under the hood would be nice and I would like to get rid of the stock Rubicon compressors on the T-case skid.

I was out on the trail this weekend and had some issues with the compressors, I think they are in a horrible spot. I know that the PSI for the stock locker is only 4-8PSI. I don't want to have a reserve tank because I don't have a lot of room so I wanted to just have the compressor kick on when I turn the locker switch on. Just not sure about that low of a pressure switch with a larger compressor.

Am I Killing two birds with one stone or am I over thinking this?

Has anyone done this? Yes I did search! :punk:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
It would not be easy to reliably regulate air pressure from the usual 85-120 psi down to the low 4-5 psi air pressure the Rubicon lockers require, I wouldn't chance it. Instead, you can move the Rubicon compressors up onto the driver's side fenderwell which is where I moved mine to. I ended up not using any of the Rubicon's OE wiring, I just gave them a source of switched 12 volts & mounted the two switches on the instrument panel where the ashtray used to be. The Rubicon compressors shut off automatically when they reach the right air pressure so you don't need any fancy wiring to make them work to engage the lockers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thinking of doing. Thanks Jerry! You are a true legend on this forum.

Do you think if I used the viar for on-board air near the stock locker compressors in the engine bay I would have heat issues?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never mind! Dumb question... I would never be running the locker compressors at the same time as I was filling my tires after a run. :)

Guess I have some work to do!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update: relocated the stock compressors and installed my Viar 450. Works GREAT!!!

Thanks for your help Jerry, I did keep the stock internals because I already did the bypass, just used the stock relays and ran them to the other side of the engine bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts