Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to do it but I have no idea where to start. What kinda parts do I need? Does anyone have any pictures? Any advice would be awesome!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do you want an electric powered system or an engine driven system? They can both be done for about the same price but there are pros and cons with each.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I ended up building me a CO2 setup. Not so great if you plan on running a lot of air tools on the trail but works great for airing up after done wheeling. You do have to keep an eye on how full your tank is but I can get my 10# tank refilled for 12 bucks. Just another option.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the idea of a co2 system. Is it complicated to install and how many times can you fill the tires? Thanks

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Here's some pics of my York engine driven system. You can buy the whole kit from Brad Kilby at onboardair.com for about $1200. I sourced most of the parts myself and have about $650 in mine. If you go to his website they have an faq section that can answer all your questions about a York based OBA system. :)

York OBA Test - YouTube

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you're looking for an engine drive system, two of the most popular OBA compressors are the Sanden and York compressors, which Ageless has already shown. The Sanden compressor is the A/C compressor that is on most TJs (which have A/C). I used Sanded in my old 98 to make an OBA setup and it performed great. The only downside is that you need to use an inline oiler to keep the compressor oiled, which then requires that you filter the air coming out for said oil.

While the Sanden unit worked fine, I'll be going with a York in my new Jeep. The fact alone that you don't have to worry about keeping the compressor oiled (except for routine maintenance of course) is what made me want to use the York this time. I also want to keep my A/C, so if I'm fabbing a bracket for a compressor I might as well use the more superior York.

Either solution works good however, and if you don't use your A/C it's a quick and cheap way to get OBA up and running quickly.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here's some shots of the Viair/Dominion Offroad kit that can be found on Quadratec and Jeep Swag.com (among other places) The kit is about 700 bucks, but if you know what to look for you can put it together for alot less.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the only way to do this is to buy new? Or are they're parts from other cars that I can get parts from to make this happen?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Which method are you referring to? The engine driven compressors can easily be found used; I'd never buy a new one. The electric ones like the Viair could probably be bought used, but you would probably have a harder time finding them. I had just a bit over $100 in my Sanden setup in my first Jeep since I used my A/C compressor that was already on the Jeep.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If you're looking to spend like 150 bucks aand go without a tank you can mount a small viair (300p or so) under the hood and wire it to the battery permanently and install a switch in dash

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
geiman said:
Which method are you referring to? The engine driven compressors can easily be found used; I'd never buy a new one. The electric ones like the Viair could probably be bought used, but you would probably have a harder time finding them. I had just a bit over $100 in my Sanden setup in my first Jeep since I used my A/C compressor that was already on the Jeep.
I was just curious if there is a way to do it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
How do I hook up to the A/C compressor to air up my tires?
There are many threads out there on it; here are a handful I've bookmarked:

A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Sanden Onboard Air System Write up - JeepForum.com
Sanden On Board Air - JeepForum.com
http://www.johnsoffroad.com/air.html
On Board Air System
On Board Air
Comcast
4x4 Icon - Interdynamics Truck Air Model HD-275 Compressor

Just keep in mind it's not a dual use thing; you either use it for A/C or you evacuate the system and use it for air. That's why I'm looking at a York for my next OBA system; I want to keep the A/C in my new Jeep.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
heres a question for all you on board air guys...
what If I just mounted the tank and ran a hose out for filling the tires? what use would say a 3 gallon 150 psi tank do without the compressor? would it even be worth it, even if you could fill the tank easily at home?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's certainly doable, provided the tank you use holds enough to air up all four tires completely. I have a friend from the local club that uses a small tank in that manner, but it's more for in case he needs to add a little pressure while on the trail. I don't know that I would rely on that as my sole source if you're going somewhere that you absolutely need to air back up before you leave in case something happens, but it's certainly better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts