Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install some onboard air. My uses will amount to air tools and airing up 33's possibly 35's someday. Is a tank necessary for this application? My modification skills are pretty limited so I would be looking for as much of a bolt on kit as possible. My budget is about $500, but I would obviously like to do this as inexpensive as possible to meet my needs. What do you guys recommend for my 2012 Wrangler?

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
What year? Quadratec has one that has everything you need and it mounts in the engine bay. about your price range providing you have the 3.8.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just installed a Viair under the hood. Used a Dominion Off Road mount to the break booster. Just Goggle Viair and a lot of competitive prices come up.

VIAIR Corporation - 12-Volt & 24-Volt Air Compressors and Pneumatic Systems

Dominion OffRoad Hardcore Jeep JK Accessories

One thing I found out. Many of the Viair units for under the hood have 100% duty cycles so the air output is about 1.66cu ft/min. Others have 2.54 cu ft/min but only 33% duty cycle (meaning they will shut of due to heat after about 40 min). This is only important if you are airing up your buddies tires as well as your own. So my shop suggest the Viair 400 P auto for me, that's what they install for most customers. It's a portable, so I removed the base and installed it. The higher 2.54 cu ft/min fills my 35 from 12 to 30 pounds in about 2 min 20 sec. So decide which way you want to go on this.

Also figure where you want the outlet. Most forum members just raise the hood and connect to the unit. At first I wanted something out by the front bumper so I would not have to raise the hood. Some run the outlet under the fender but reports are the mud/dirt makes this a less desired option. So I ran the outlet (and the air intake) inside per the Dominion website suggestion so cooler inside air reaches the compressor. My switch is on the sPod. I didn't get a tank. Also the under engine tank option they show on their website won't work on your 2012 - only 2011 and earlier. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
To run tools you will need a tank. Unless it's a brad nailer or something. :rofl2:

I have the dual ARB under the hood in my 13. No tank. The thing is bad ass. I can air up my 35s from 8-10 psi to 30 in less than 2 minutes each. & then I can do my friends before anyone else is even done with their own.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year? Quadratec has one that has everything you need and it mounts in the engine bay. about your price range providing you have the 3.8.
I have a 2012.

So can I contact dominion and order just the brake booster mounting bracket? If I go with the 100% cycle at 1.66 cu ft/min I understand I will get slower tire filling, but will I run into any problems running various air tools? How significant is that difference in the world of air tools.

With a tankless system the compressor will be constantly running as I use the tools correct? How long can I run the compressor without running into heat issues? (I see you said about 40 minutes with the 33% cycle)

Thank you

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To run tools you will need a tank. Unless it's a brad nailer or something. :rofl2:

I have the dual ARB under the hood in my 13. No tank. The thing is bad ass. I can air up my 35s from 8-10 psi to 30 in less than 2 minutes each. & then I can do my friends before anyone else is even done with their own.
Ok so I'll need a tank then. Disregard my previous post. So what kind of tank setup can I use in my 2012? Are there any kits in existance?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ok so I'll need a tank then. Disregard my previous post. So what kind of tank setup can I use in my 2012? Are there any kits in existance?
I had considered a couple things - first was sealing off my bumper & using that & second was removing that stupid muffler. You can relocate the evap canister up above the rear axle & mount a tank there. I think River Raider makes a skid for the evap & tank, but some have have had issues fitting it on the 12+ jeeps I think (JeepHerz would know all about that).

Oh, MORE makes a mounting bracket for under the hood of the newer JKs now too.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Where did you mount the tank?
I have not added a tank yet. Finding the spot for it on a 2dr is the challenge. Replacing the exhaust and using that spot would be the easiest, but I have not made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm in the market for OBA also but have a JKUR .
Interested in how well each system works?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm considering a 10# PowerTank setup. Price is right, it's fast, it's portable. I have a friend who loves his ARB compressor. I guess it depends how you plan to use it.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
I bought a 15# CO2 tank from a Liqueur store for $80 filled. Added a regulator from welding shop for $30. Hose and assembly $30. Mounted it to the roll bar using a Power Tank mount. Run tools, air up etc. If I were to buy a compressor I would by the ARB twin compressor, you do not need a tank with that compressor either. Each method has its pros and cons you have to decide which ones you're willing to deal with...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a 15# CO2 tank from a Liqueur store for $80 filled. Added a regulator from welding shop for $30. Hose and assembly $30. Mounted it to the roll bar using a Power Tank mount. Run tools, air up etc. If I were to buy a compressor I would by the ARB twin compressor, you do not need a tank with that compressor either. Each method has its pros and cons you have to decide which ones you're willing to deal with...
If I can buy an ARB twin compressor tankless, throw a regulator on it, and still run air tools successfully that is what I'll do. It seems like the biggest issue with OBA for the 2012+ is finding a location to mount the tank. So, if that can be avoided and suit my needs, I'm all in.

Some people have said I need a tank for tools, and some haven't. Which is it?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
If I can buy an ARB twin compressor tankless, throw a regulator on it, and still run air tools successfully that is what I'll do. It seems like the biggest issue with OBA for the 2012+ is finding a location to mount the tank. So, if that can be avoided and suit my needs, I'm all in.

Some people have said I need a tank for tools, and some haven't. Which is it?
You can do it without a tank but only in very short burst. Its not very effective.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so since my main concern right now is running air tools effectively, I will most likely need a tank. So, who knows some mounting locations for the tank.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts