Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall. im looking to maybe adding a on board air compressor. id like to air tires and be able to run a air impact...obviously ill have to have a tank my question is what kind to buy and which is better and dependable and will last...prefer if it is a oiled version instead of oiless. any certain brands to use or not use? looking to do the moab next yr if all goes as planned and figured thi would be a nice mod to do before going

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. I added a Garvin expedition rack to my JKU and decided to use that space for my comp and tanks. Went with the ARB twin piston comp and had to do custom aluminum tanks. Figure I've got about 10 gallons of capacity with it.

Difficult part is finding enough protected space underneath the vehicle to install enough tanks to give you decent capacity, although 2.5 gallons available on the two listed below may be enough for you.

Viair offers a couple of systems in the $370 Viair 10005 - Viair Heavy Duty On Board Air System - Quadratec to $400 Viair 10007 - Viair Constant Duty On Board Air System - Quadratec price range.

ARB offers this ARB CKMTP12 - ARB Portable Twin Air Compressor - Quadratec but it is up around $800. Although this one is portable. (Same compressor mounted on my roof rack).

Only reason I didn't go with the Viair is the tank capacity. The first (and only) time I aired up my tires after I bumped up to 37's, it took 45 minutes to go from 10 psi to 35 psi with my Viair compressor (compressor only, no tank attached). With the system I have now it took about 15 minutes and the compressor didn't have to kick in until about half way into the third tire.

Also never have been to wild about the CO2 tanks as the cost of entry for them is just about the same as one of the Viair systems listed above. Plus the cost of recharging them which I have heard averages about $15-$20 each time plus possibly more depending on how close the refill station is to your home.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can run air tools off of a 2 gallon tank in spurts. Our economy system is an affordable solution to adding onboard-air onto your Jeep. There are other options as well.

What size tires are you running? What size tires do you plan to run? How come you prefer an oiled compressor? The VIAIR is oil-less and requires no maintenance, jut the replacing of filters every so often.

Let me know and I can better make a suggestion for you. In most cases, the 400C is a good solution.

·
Registered
672 Posts
AirWerkz said:
You can run air tools off of a 2 gallon tank in spurts. Our economy system is an affordable solution to adding onboard-air onto your Jeep. There are other options as well.

What size tires are you running? What size tires do you plan to run? How come you prefer an oiled compressor? The VIAIR is oil-less and requires no maintenance, jut the replacing of filters every so often.

Let me know and I can better make a suggestion for you. In most cases, the 400C is a good solution.
May I ask what your website is?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts