Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing as much research as I could. And I think I narrowed it down to 2 choices. Been looking into the ARB Twin, and Viair 400c dual pack. Not really interested in adding tanks. The ARB would fit perfectly where I wanna mount it(rear cargo floor cubby). Just not sure how the Viair would fit in that same spot. Other then that what's your impression on the ARB Twin vs 400c dual pack. Would be used most likely just for the tires. Kinda like the idea of 2 compressors acting as 1 unit, seeing how they'd should take half the load each or possibly just fill up the tire faster.
NOW, without getting too technical, I'll admit I'm not the smartest, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Can't answer the technical question as I've yet to see the twin set up out on the trail doing its thing. Now, putting the ARB in the cabin. Sure you want to do that? Little bugger is noisy as all get out. If you have a spousal/companion unit that sits in the cab while this is running you will likely get 10 TIMES the noise from that source on the way home about the noise they had to sit through while YOU aired up the tires. Most mount it under the hood near the brake booster. In the end, your call.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I would agree, very noisy for in cabin. And that thing gets hot too...

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I like the ARB compressors. My single works very well for pumping up tires. It was also able to easily set beads on my 30X10R14 tires for the side by side without even removing the valve stems. The dual is even more powerful.

As others have mentioned, I think they are too loud when installed inside the Jeep. They make brackets that make the install very easy under the hood.

Here is my single under the hood.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
A lot depends on what you want it for. If you want it to occasionally top off your tires, the single will save you some money. I started with a Viair 450C that has auto shutoff and it's own small air tank built on. Because of its design, you are supposed to mount it with the cylinder in the vertical position. That might be a problem with the location you are planning. I had mine mounted to a shelf on the tailgate. Because I got tired of being the last one aired back up after a trail, and because I wanted the space back in the cargo area, I switched to an ARB twin mounted under the drivers seat. I prefer the compressor to be in the AC using cool dry air. I'm never inside with the unit running anyway. I mounted a 1 gallon tank under my Jeep and put a quick connect on the frame one both sides of the Jeep. I used it a lot on our last trip to Moab and was very happy with the ARB twin.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
I can't vouch for the 400C at all but I have a Twin mounted under the passenger seat and it is awesome!
Loud? Not too bad.. Way quieter than some of the smaller ones out there. I run front and rear air lockers so as we wheel and switch them on and off it cycles for a second here and there. I'ts not loud enough that it interrupts conversation.
Hot? YUP! I have filled up my 37 x 13.5 from 10 to 30psi then handed the hose off to a friend to do his. You can't hold your hand on it for more than a second after that but it isn't hot enough that it has melted the carpet or anything else it is near. I do like that it has 100% duty cycle and fills my my 4 tires in about 8 minutes.

The underhood mounting would be fine and make it easier to wire but up here in the Northeast the winter salt and weather would destroy a $500 compressor in a year.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
The underhood mounting would be fine and make it easier to wire but up here in the Northeast the winter salt and weather would destroy a $500 compressor in a year.
In the Southeast, it is too much dirt, water, and heat for an under-hood mounting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Last Sunday I finished installing the Twin ARB under the front passenger seat. At the moment I only plan to use it for filling tires. It's only switched on when I'm using it so only makes noise while filling tires. Passengers (wife/kids/whoever) came exit vehicle or put up with noise. Not sure I see the big deal with noise here.

Wired up nicely fit great. I ran an airline to the back and placed a quick connect on the roll bar in the back.

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
92 Posts

How would the salt effect the compressor if it's right under the hood near the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
How would the salt effect the compressor if it's right under the hood near the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your tires splashing through the slush or puddles of melted snow, mist from the tires in front of you etc, etc, etc... The salt gets EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/QUOTE]

Your tires splashing through the slush or puddles of melted snow, mist from the tires in front of you etc, etc, etc... The salt gets EVERYWHERE![/QUOTE]

Pretty much the main reason I want it inside. I live in South Dakota, and there's a butt ton of dusty dirt roads and snowy winters. If I am gonna be spending this type of money on a product, I want it to last as long as possible.
I have thought also about putting it under the rear seat. Seems like that's a bunch of dead space any way. (If you're judging what I should do by the jeep in my photo, don't. I no longer have that one due to an accident. I'm in the process of special ordering a new one)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Same question here. I have mine under hood in Chicago and it looks pristine.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ya.. Nothing under my hood looks pristine. Of course some of that is my doing. I've washed 2" of mud off my dual batteries before...
Lol. Yeah I stay out of mud and water that goes higher than my fender flares.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ha... I'm calling B'S on that statement! My evidence you ask? Let's point you to exhibit # 1.... your profile pic! HAHA...
Hahaha! It was right on the line!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got done moving my ARB dual compressor from under the hood to under the driver side seat. I had to do this because of the Mopar big brake kit installation. I was worried about the heat from it melting the carpet So I jogged the Teraflex mount ears about 3/4" up to give it more clearance over the carpet. I can slide my hand underneath the compressor now. The mount holes have enough slop in them I didn't have to ream out the mount holes on the bracket.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
two1991 said:
Pretty much the main reason I want it inside. I live in South Dakota, and there's a butt ton of dusty dirt roads and snowy winters. If I am gonna be spending this type of money on a product, I want it to last as long as possible.
I have thought also about putting it under the rear seat. Seems like that's a bunch of dead space any way. (If you're judging what I should do by the jeep in my photo, don't. I no longer have that one due to an accident. I'm in the process of special ordering a new one)
How about making an inexpensive system which is mounted outside your Jeep and ready to use for convenience purposes, as well as having a back up which is located under your rear seat for just in case purposes?

That's what I did. All for less than $200. BAM!!! Best of both worlds.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/inexpensive-ready-to-use-onboard-air-build-2037162.html

Oh yeah, and I live in Michigan, where I've seen plenty of snow, ice, slush, Dirt, mud, dust and salt. Still working great with a little planning and minor compressor modifications.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the arb compressor installed under the front passenger seat. Works well and easy to access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts