Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a spin through the search and didn't see this exact question addressed.

I'm going to install the ARB CKMA12 (the single) and have an sPOD SE. This is going to be a tanklesss, non locker setup ONLY for airing up tires occasionally. I see that sPOD sells a harness for $18 that takes the massive wiring harness from ARB and brings it down to four wires - two of which are only used if no lockers are being used - the positive and the negative.

My question is this: The compressor comes with a pressure switch which has two wire connections itself. Do I even need to install that if all I want to do is turn on the power through my sPOD and run it until I'm done filling tires, then turning it back off through the sPOD?

Is there anything stopping me from taking the ARB harness, stripping out the positive and negative wires and running them to the sPOD and calling it a day? I know the sPOD can handle up to 30 amps per channel. It sounds like the pressure switch would be if I was filling a tank or something other than direct inflation.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Its very straight forward. I installed the arb to spod harness and use the switch from spod cab to turn air compressor on. Because of this harness you will get rid of big chunk of wires that are going to the cab. You still need to wire compressor directly to the battery tho.

this video explains on how to use the harness
https://youtu.be/rvk47vnRkA0

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its very straight forward. I installed the arb to spod harness and use the switch from spod cab to turn air compressor on. Because of this harness you will get rid of big chunk of wires that are going to the cab. You still need to wire compressor directly to the battery tho.

this video explains on how to use the harness
https://youtu.be/rvk47vnRkA0
See that's the part I'm not convinced about - I don't think you do need go to the battery as along as it's the small compressor (under 30 amp draw). Even in the video you linked, at the 1:20 mark he says if you don't use lockers, you only need the positive and negative.

Did you use the pressure switch?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
See that's the part I'm not convinced about - I don't think you do need go to the battery as along as it's the small compressor (under 30 amp draw). Even in the video you linked, at the 1:20 mark he says if you don't use lockers, you only need the positive and negative. Did you use the pressure switch?
Yes, i used the pressure switch. The compressor would not work without it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
according to the ARB website, max load is 32 amps for that compressor. Performance under load is 25.2 amps though.
Yup, thanks. I read that too and it appears the max load is pushing something like 100psi, which I never plan on even coming close to. I did send ARB this same question and haven't heard back yet but I'll post their reply when I do.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Yup, thanks. I read that too and it appears the max load is pushing something like 100psi, which I never plan on even coming close to. I did send ARB this same question and haven't heard back yet but I'll post their reply when I do.
You are going to see 100+ psi, about 10 seconds after turning it on. That's just how it works. Unless you are attaching a line to your valve stem, turning the pump on, turning the pump off when a tire is full. It's so much simpler to flip a switch and fill tires. If you dont use the pressure switch and the pump stays on after you disconnect the air chuck, you will probably have a problem really fast.

I am running the older model of what you have, and it has been abused for at least a decade. I am sure it pulls a bit more than when it was new. Running through an ARB carling switch and it works just fine with no relay. I would not suggest running the pump with the motor off, not only does it run much slower, but amp draw will be higher.

I have a poly line running to a 1/2 gallon aux tank with a solenoid, so I can either have quick charge ups for running my lockers or a little bit more air to fill tires or run tools in an emergency.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer, I did all of my own wiring. It is actually extremely simple.

I would go spodNEG-pressure switch-pumpNEG and run the positive directly to the spod's positive. Be sure to put a fuse in there as well!

I have another switch on my lower panel that opens the solenoid at my aux tank. Takes right around 60 seconds to fill the whole system to 130psi

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm getting this set up installed on the 14th. I would do it myself but I don't like messing with electrical stuff. Im getting the 6 switch spod and the twin compressor arb.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I run the same setup. Just use an open chuck style line so that the compressor always has a path to pump out air when on. You don't need the pressure switch.

The only thing I used from the harness was the single plug and enough wire to hook it to the spod.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run the same setup. Just use an open chuck style line so that the compressor always has a path to pump out air when on. You don't need the pressure switch.

The only thing I used from the harness was the single plug and enough wire to hook it to the spod.
Just for my own clarification, when you say "open chuck" style, you're referring to basically a constantly flowing line, so I wouldn't be able to use something like an air duster attachment because that would cause pressure back up with no pressure switch to counter it, right?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Just for my own clarification, when you say "open chuck" style, you're referring to basically a constantly flowing line, so I wouldn't be able to use something like an air duster attachment because that would cause pressure back up with no pressure switch to counter it, right?
Yes.

that being said I cant figure out a single reason to not run a pressure switch. It requires one 6" piece of wire, that's it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
See that's the part I'm not convinced about - I don't think you do need go to the battery as along as it's the small compressor (under 30 amp draw). Even in the video you linked, at the 1:20 mark he says if you don't use lockers, you only need the positive and negative.

Did you use the pressure switch?
Not sure if this helps, but I remember treading a thread on here mentioning that even the small air compressors .. that are rated eg. under 30 amp draw.. can have brief "spikes" (can't remember the terminology used) that shoot up over the rated amp draw. That was stated as the reason not to use that type of device on an sPOD type unit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just updating this thread with a response from ARB....

"We recommend using the pressure switch as it will shut the compressor off when it reaches full pressure but technically you can run it without. It will just over pressurize and blow off through the blowoff valve."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts