Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to make a big purchase for my jeep and want some opinions I want an on board air system and I want a winch but can't decide which one I want to get first what do you all think

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H2_recoveryteam said:
Get a cheap air comp that hooks to the batt. And a winch.
Well I guess I could do that . Any recommendations on a good cheap air comp ?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at one of those at my local parts houses but wasn't sure about it I'll check in to it more thank you

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I'd go with the winch first. While having on-board air is nice, having a winch will ultimately save the day when you inevitably get stuck.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think winch also, its a big purchase and if your ready to drop the $$$ I'd do it all in one swoop. winch , plate, electrical setup

But then again I am a bargain shopper, if OBA's have better rebates than winches right now, I'd chase the sales and rebates.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd say it depends on your wheeling needs. I go wheeling in places where I can get stuck, even though I haven't. Also, do your friends have winches and tow straps?

Onboard air you can use all the time. Viair makes a nice compressor.

Are you going to eventually get ARB lockers? Then buy an ARB compressor.

These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Winch! You can always drive home with low air AFTER you winch out. That said, I love my OBA. I bought a winch one year and the OBA the next. I probably use my OBA more than the winch but I've never "needed" the OBA and there have been many times that my winch saved the day for either myself or a friend who had chose different accessories over a winch. :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Agree with what has been stated above. You can do both. I can get you a powerplant for much less than what Amazon advertises... Or you can go with a budget setup. Engo for $289 and a *really* nice (much better than the Q Industries setup) portable air source with 5.65 CFM for $130. Combined, that's less than you'd pay for most OBA setups or a winch alone.

That said, VIAIR makes an incredible OBA setup, which is what I run on my rig. That is a convenience though. A winch is the more needed of the two.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked in to a power plant but damn those are big$$$ one of them would me the trick set up I think

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Agree with what has been stated above. You can do both. I can get you a powerplant for much less than what Amazon advertises... Or you can go with a budget setup. Engo for $289 and a *really* nice (much better than the Q Industries setup) portable air source with 5.65 CFM for $130. Combined, that's less than you'd pay for most OBA setups or a winch alone.

That said, VIAIR makes an incredible OBA setup, which is what I run on my rig. That is a convenience though. A winch is the more needed of the two.
what do you have that puts out 5.65 CFM for $130?? I am really interested in that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Super winch S4500<- 4500lb winch ?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think you need to be in the 8000-9500# range for a standard jeep winch, when you are stuck you're pulling more than the jeep weight to over come the force holding you.

Superwinch S4500 is an ATV winch

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kevbz said:
I think you need to be in the 8000-9500# range for a standard jeep winch, when you are stuck you're pulling more than the jeep weight to over come the force holding you.

Superwinch S4500 is an ATV winch
I figured it was too light thanks ( damn thought I had a solution ) a guy I work with has it was hoping it was bigger than it is

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
winch prices will scare you to death...that's one big chuck of change!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes they have that's why I have been looking for a good used one

1 - 20 of 37 Posts