Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently came across the remainder money of my mom& dads house sale. I’ve been wanting an LJ for a while now but to find a clean, low mileage one in my budget is hard to find. Not sure I want a yellow one either. Anyway, my yj has been very good to me and I have put some money into it(as we all do) and I’ve got a pet peeve that it won’t track as straight as I’d like it too. It still has pretty low miles of 130k. I’m contributing it to the possibility of my donor axle. Do I keep looking for an LJ or invest in a G2 front axle with arb(already have the arb in rear, but can lose the lunchbox up front). Any insight on these G2 axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
FWIW. Another member, Would like to get my LJ out to play.... He has an LJ, 06 IIRC, Been out with him, Bright Yellow, Absolutely capable Jeep with a few mods, I'd buy one if I wasn't so Hooked on my YJ's even if it is a TJ. At least it's not a FIAT

From our last outing

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Finding a Rubicon is another challenge, guess I can spend a bunch more on lockers

TJ Rubicon axles are not real Dana 44's they are just dana 44 center sections/shafts with Dana 30/35 outers the tubes are small and the housings are weak and the lockers are garbage. I am 98% sure that the front D44 is low pinion as well they are really not worth trying to swap. You would be better off with a Rodeo D44 they have beefier housings and easier to put stronger aftermarket lockers in.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think I’ve gone down this path before!appreciate your knowledge, Agalloch.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Thanks, I think I’ve gone down this path before!appreciate your knowledge, Agalloch.

I personally would never buy a Rubicon i would buy a early TJ 97-99 with a 4.0 and AX15 and swap aftermarket axles into it. There really is no reason for the inflated price of Rubicons especially when the later models suffered badly from poor quality with the 6 speed and auto transmissions and OPDA problems. I like the idea of the LJ and i wanted one when they first came out but it's too bad they did not offer them in the early years when quality was better.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agalloch, you inspired me enough to not blow my money. I guess I’m needing a new project. It would be nice to have ACnot sure if hardtop is really necessaary or not? Maybe look for a low mileage auto in those ranges? Or is the auto junk in that range of years?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Come on Steve, real men use three pedals. LOL

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I grew up with stick shift and heard it’s much easier with an automatic crawling over rocksI need to spoil myself once in a while + I still have the internal slave on this jeep- not looking forward to that upgrade(external).

·
Super Moderator
10,956 Posts
Agalloch, you inspired me enough to not blow my money. I guess I’m needing a new project. It would be nice to have ACnot sure if hardtop is really necessaary or not? Maybe look for a low mileage auto in those ranges? Or is the auto junk in that range of years?
First pic looks good. Hope you got a great deal on it. Now, you can go ahead with the external slave on the YJ. With a second Jeep you can take your time with the bell housing swap.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Picked up my 2nd jeep

Sorry Steve, but your on the wrong forum. the TJ forum is one page up. lol. looks very nice though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
TJ Rubicon axles are not real Dana 44's they are just dana 44 center sections/shafts with Dana 30/35 outers the tubes are small and the housings are weak and the lockers are garbage. I am 98% sure that the front D44 is low pinion as well they are really not worth trying to swap. You would be better off with a Rodeo D44 they have beefier housings and easier to put stronger aftermarket lockers in.
Just to clarify - the D44 rear axle is indeed a "true" D44. The Rubi version has some weird features but both a Rubi/Non-Rubi TJ D44 rear is certainly a true D44 with 30-spline shafts, standard D44 wheel bearings and seals, etc. When I rebuilt the TJ D44 for my TJ, the tube thickness was the same as the Rodeo D44 rear I built for my YJ.

Front TJ D44's (Rubi and non-Rubi) are glorified D30's :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Just to clarify - the D44 rear axle is indeed a "true" D44. The Rubi version has some weird features but both a Rubi/Non-Rubi TJ D44 rear is certainly a true D44 with 30-spline shafts, standard D44 wheel bearings and seals, etc. When I rebuilt the TJ D44 for my TJ, the tube thickness was the same as the Rodeo D44 rear I built for my YJ.

Front TJ D44's (Rubi and non-Rubi) are glorified D30's :)
I thought TJ rear 44's used the same tube size as the D35 which is like 1/4" tube thats 2.5" diameter. All of the axles i have seen thats a D44 equivalent are 3", Toyota 8", Ford 8.8 ect....

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought TJ rear 44's used the same tube size as the D35 which is like 1/4" tube thats 2.5" diameter. All of the axles i have seen thats a D44 equivalent are 3", Toyota 8", Ford 8.8 ect....
Good points - I did check the thickness at the vent hole out of curiosity and it was right between 1/4"-3/8", which is what the Rodeo tube measured at. Visually the TJ D44 tube looked the same as the Rodeo tube (which I did measure out to 2.75" but then expands to 3" at the wheel-bearing), but honestly with all the brackets in the way I didn't bother to check. Out of curiosity, I checked a few web pages and Blaine says that the ones he measured have always been 2-5/8" (2.625"), so the Rodeo tubes do have a slight strength advantage (assuming my thickness measurements were accurate).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts