Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a trip to AZ and on the way home, I am stopping in Moab for two nights and one full day. So much to do and so hard to choose which trails to do while there. I have a JKUR with winch, 3” lift, 315 Toyo MT’s and a roof top tent. Would like to camp one or both nights.

Thinking Shafer Trail, Potash Rd, and Long Canyon west of the river, then Hurrah, Chicken Corners, and maybe Catacomb East of the River. I think that’s around of 8 hours of trails that are pretty easy, especially in my Jeep. I’ll have my son with me and have to drive 1000K+ miles back home, so I’m going for more scenic trails as opposed to technical stuff.

Any suggestions for those who’ve been? Any secluded or quiet campsites out on the trail?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
if you have not been in moab before do Fins and things and you will still have plenty of time to do some other trails like Porcupine ridge etc. Camp right there at sand flats. Lots of very cool campsites right on Fins and Things.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can Fins be done without a spotter? My son will be with me, but not sure he’s up to speed on proper track and tire placement

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Can Fins be done without a spotter? My son will be with me, but not sure he’s up to speed on proper track and tire placement
absolutely. The proper lines on fins and things are well established just follow the paint dots and black tire tracks.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, Fins and Things can be done without a spotter but it has never been one of my favorites...it's one of our "amusement park" rides. Unless obstacles are more important than the destination to you, I would definitely opt for Chicken Corners or the Long Cyn, Shafer, Potash loop. Those trails give you a much better introduction to Moab geology and scenery. I would not try to do both in the same day. If you choose Chicken Corners, you might find open campsites at the Ledges area east of Hurrah Pass. You could probably do Fins and Chicken Corners in the same long day....but that's a lot of time behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yes, Fins and Things can be done without a spotter but it has never been one of my favorites...it's one of our "amusement park" rides. Unless obstacles are more important than the destination to you, I would definitely opt for Chicken Corners or the Long Cyn, Shafer, Potash loop. Those trails give you a much better introduction to Moab geology and scenery. I would not try to do both in the same day. If you choose Chicken Corners, you might find open campsites at the Ledges area east of Hurrah Pass.
it is funny I have been to Moab many times since the 80's and this past year we finally did Chicken Corners and we all thought it was a let down. Not sure why but we were expecting something more. As far as scenery goes i think Kane Creek might be my favorite. I think fins and things has plenty of great scenery but I suppose it is all relative to what you enjoy. Maybe it is because I am from Western Montana and we have scenery galore so I like the different scenery that fins and things and hells revenge offer.

Those are the two trails along with poison spider that we hit every time. We often do Fins and things twice in a visit.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I think you’re being really ambitious with the number of trails you expect to do in a day. I’d prioritize the list based on feedback/research and be happy to do two or three, more if possible. The group that runs EJS has a good list of trails with descriptions and their rating.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Chicken Corners can be a letdown to anyone who comes to Moab mainly to drop their vehicles into low range and crawl over obstacles. Far too many do just that. But Chicken Corners is, without a doubt, one of Moab's most scenic and geologically wondrous trails. Have you ever tried walking the foot trail past the end of the 4WD trail...beyond the REAL Chicken Corner? You might be surprised at what you find out there. I'm sure Kane Creek is beyond the difficulty the OP is looking for. Though I have not driven that entire trail, I've flown it in a helicopter numerous times and have driven in from the top and bottom on rescues. Everyone has a favorite trail in Moab...and I'm sure most trails will get a vote here as they usually do in threads of this type. I've lived here for 46 years, have flown, driven, or mountain-biked virtually every trail, and Chicken Corners or the Shafer Trail are always the trails I take first-time visitors on.

Reactions: Juno58

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably am being a little too ambitious. I just want to cover as much as I can on the one full day I have!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fins for sure. It's a fairly easy way to get the full Moab slick rock experience, along with nice scenery & some sandy fast driving parts. The trail is split in two, so you could always run the first section and bow out if you'd like to head to chicken corners or other scenic routes. I've run the trail solo a bunch and can get through the first section in about 20 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
I am another that likes Fins and Things. And, as mentioned, you can easily do half the trail and bail if time is short. But the slick rock fins are a thing that is pretty unique to Moab. I have done Chicken Corner(s), and it is fun. But not one of our favorites. We aren't hard core crawlers, so the lack of difficulty wasn't the issue for us. I do like the end, where you are across from Thelma and Louise point. The foot trail that keeps going is really cool as well. But it was a fairly long time investment, and I am not sure that is what the OP needs. It sounds like he needs a sampler platter of Moab trails.
I really like 7 Mile Rim, it has an arch you can see up close. Other great trails would be Onion Creek / Fisher Towers (two separate trails near each other). Fisher Towers is short, and there is a nice camp site area at the end by the towers. Great place to camp.
What the OP really needs is more time in Moab.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do the arches national park 4wd section. Easy and fun for the kid to see the arches too. Skip the line and head for the back entrance dropping you in right thru the 4wd area.

7-mile rim is just across the highway too!

Have read good things about Dome Plateau, should be a good easy run too.

All are considered easy... but trust me they aint just gravel roads :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I probably am being a little too ambitious. I just want to cover as much as I can on the one full day I have!
If you have time and energy after all that trail riding, take a trip south out of town on 191 and then take the road to the Canyonlands Needles section late at night.

Get out of your Jeep, let your eyes adjust to the dark, and then, look.......up.

Reactions: SwiftFF5 and jadmt

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
If you have time and energy after all that trail riding, take a trip south out of town on 191 and then take the road to the Canyonlands Needles section late at night.

Get out of your Jeep, let your eyes adjust to the dark, and then, look.......up.

your photos actually do it justice. I can never get mine to look like that altho probably need something better than my phone to take photos :)

Reactions: HKLover

·
Registered
752 Posts
your photos actually do it justice. I can never get mine to look like that altho probably need something better than my phone to take photos :)
Not sure what phone you have, but if you do a little searching you can find out how to get pretty decent astrophotos with a few settings changes. I personally have not used my iphone 6 for photos. I use a Sony Alpha A7Rm2 and have several different lenses. It's only a hobby that I got into a few years ago when I first visited Canyonlands at night with my girlfriend and we ended up at Pothole Point one night. Moab has more than just 4x4 trails, it has some of the best night skies in the world too. Enjoy it while we still can. Light pollution is only getting worse.

Reactions: SwiftFF5

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Yes, Fins and Things can be done without a spotter but it has never been one of my favorites...it's one of our "amusement park" rides. Unless obstacles are more important than the destination to you, I would definitely opt for Chicken Corners or the Long Cyn, Shafer, Potash loop. Those trails give you a much better introduction to Moab geology and scenery. I would not try to do both in the same day. If you choose Chicken Corners, you might find open campsites at the Ledges area east of Hurrah Pass. You could probably do Fins and Chicken Corners in the same long day....but that's a lot of time behind the wheel.
Just returned home last night from our very first trip to Moab, and would very much recommend you follow Moabite advice as we did and do Long Canyon, Shafer/Potash trail. We did them on separate days, but realized while on Long Canyon that it would be great idea to do them as a loop. I would recommend going up Long Canyon and taking Shafer/Potash down...its some of the best scenery we encountered on our trip. We did Long Canyon up, went on to Grand View Point (I highly recommend this, the view is unforgettable) in Canyon Land NP and then did Gemini Bridges back down.

We did Chicken Corners our last day, and it was a great trail, but it took much longer than we anticipated. Spent a solid 6 hours on that one trail. The Ledge campsites east of Hurrah Pass are situated in some of the prettiest views in the area!!!!

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Adding to the thread with my notes from last week:
  • All the trails in Moab take longer than you might think when looking at a map.
  • Running the same trail in a different direction gives you a different view and is worth doing. Obviously don't do this on the one way trails.
  • Any trail in Moab has merit and most are spectacular.
  • Trails tend to be 'curated' to a certain difficulty, so you generally will not get stuck half way around
  • We saw idiots on rental motorbikes go off trail in Fins 'n Things and roost all over the place. Infuriating since that type of behavior will close some trails for all of us.
  • There are some rental Jeeps and a lot of rental side by sides so skill level and courtesy varies somewhat.
  • Potash / Shafer is incredibly scenic and can be done in any AWD SUV.
  • Chicken Corners is long because just the Hurrah pass end takes some time
  • Hell's Revenge has a lot of steep approach / departures to the slick rock but can be done in a stock Jeep (with some minor scraping).
  • Fins 'n Things is easier and slightly interesting than Hell's Revenge (but still great).
  • Elephant Hill is a great all round trail with some challenge, different scenery and two shortish hikes. It is 80 miles South of Moab, you need a permit in advance, group sizes are limited, there are some intimating up and down hill sections. One member did the trail in a stock JL (with some minor scraping). The rock ledges have a lot of cement added to make them more into ramps so there is not anything too nasty. SOB hill is the point when most people might hit a slider but it is just one turn and the right line can make it 1 minute obstacle. Elephant Hill was my favorite trail.
  • Geyser Pass was closed until Memorial Day weekend.
  • La Sal Pass had snow and we could not get through all the way.
  • Polar Mesa / Onion Creek was great but dosen't figure in most people's list of trails. It is a stock SUV+ trail so any Jeep can do it. We only did it because Geyser Pass was closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts