Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about needing to calibrate my speedo since changing tires. I know I am at least 10 MPH high at 60 MPH right now checking it against my GPS. Yall gave me several suggestions. Which programmer should I get that has the most options to help me besides just like calibration. Is there one that also has a code reader? I am 60 years old so ease of use is huge to me. Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
IMO
Jscan is the most capable and least expensive.
Superchips is the easiest to use, but less powerful.

At 54 years old I prefer jscan, but I'm adequately tech savvy.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO
Jscan is the most capable and least expensive.
Superchips is the easiest to use, but less powerful.

At 54 years old I prefer jscan, but I'm adequately tech savvy.
Do I just need to calibrate the speedo and use something entirely different as a code reader? Which way should I go? I am not adequately tech savvy!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
AEV pro cal is super simple to use and reads codes. If you can brush your teeth without poking your eye out you can calibrate with a pro cal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the price (around 35$ total for Bluetooth OBD and license) JScan is the best. Gives you real time feedback and any adjustment you could make like changing tire size, gear ratio, disabling abs, etc…

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah, you don’t need to calibrate the speedo, just the tire size. With Jscan, it takes less than 5 minutes. Take a REAL reading of your tire size and input into the application. Save, and you’re done. If you have a slush box, shifting will be infinitely better as well.

I used OBD Fusion for a number of years, when specific applications for particular models of vehicles was more or less in its infancy. Now, it isn’t very hard or particularly expensive to get an application running on your phone that will do 90% of what in the past only a dealer could. What it really boils down to is someone has taken the time and energy to reverse engineer the PIDs coming across the CANBUS for each particular model (or architecture used by an OEM) and be able to perform the same tasks that a dealer would via the OBD-II port.

It’s really quite fascinating how it has all evolved: from initially being a government mandated mechanism to measure emissions, to OEMs realizing in so doing, they could leverage the same connections and tech to do their own configurations of their vehicles. Since the protocol is basically the same and architecture by and large similar, it’s not a difficult implementation, or difficult to reverse engineer. (Yes, I worked in the telematics industry for a number of years).

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AEV pro cal is super simple to use and reads codes. If you can brush your teeth without poking your eye out you can calibrate with a pro cal.
HAHA! That sounds like the one I need!

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the price (around 35$ total for Bluetooth OBD and license) JScan is the best. Gives you real time feedback and any adjustment you could make like changing tire size, gear ratio, disabling abs, etc…
Whats bluetooth OBD and license mean? Sorry I am special Ed.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you please post me a link to this option. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Can you please post me a link to this option. Thanks!

northridge4x4.com ships free and AEV does not allow discounts so free shipping is the best you can get.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
How do I know if I have an A580 trans?
if you have a 2012 or newer JK you have a A580 that only comes into play if you have non rubicon and want to install a rubicon transfer case in it or vise versa

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you have a 2012 or newer JK you have a A580 that only comes into play if you have non rubicon and want to install a rubicon transfer case in it or vise versa
Thanks brother! I have a non-Rubicon but I am not installing any other transfer case thank you!

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have another question, yall said once I calibrate it the shifting and all will be more on point but how does this effect my mileage as it is now. Once I calibrate will my mileage improve from the erroneous reading I am getting now and also over all mileage if I leave it uncalibrated are miles racking up more or less due to the larger tires. Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Welcome to the world of CANBUS vehicles. Don’t think of yourself as dumb on this- it is only in the last few years become more accessible to “normal” folks.

To make it simple: Do you have a smart phone or mobile tablet of some form? (Android or Apple). If so, they have “app” (application) stores: Google Play and the App Store respectively. Go to that store and search for “JSCAN” and download. The application will have what is called “in app purchases” which will allow you purchase the full suite of capabilities it is capable of.

The application itself is free, so you can do that right off the bat. But to get to most of the advanced (the ones that matter) features, you have to buy a license. It’s real easy as it will just bill to the credit card associated with the account for that store.

Now, in order to connect to the vehicle, you will need an adapter that plugs into the OBD-II port in your vehicle. If you don’t know what that is, just open the driver’s door and look under the dash to the left of the steering column. That is the source of communications to all the stuff folks are talking about.

In the JSCAN application, it references compatible devices- and even shows pictures. I’d highly recommend getting one of those. You can do all this before even buying a license, but you might as well because it’s dirt cheap for what it can do, and can save you a lot of hassle from getting taken by a shop or dealer for a repair.

The tricky part is getting the device to pair (kinda like pairing your phone to the Bluetooth of your vehicle’s infotainment system). Once you do it once, it will be connected IN THE APP, not via the Bluetooth section of your respective device. This is key as I had to show a buddy how to do this recently and it is counter intuitive to how it is done for other BT connections. Anyway, once you pair it once, you are set and when you open the application, you should be able to connect straight away after you plug the dongle in.

Then, learning how and where to do adjustments is something that will just take time to look and/or search here on the forum to see how to do it. It’s really quite easy and hard to dramatically screw things up, so as long as you follow the warnings posted in the application, you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the world of CANBUS vehicles. Don’t think of yourself as dumb on this- it is only in the last few years become more accessible to “normal” folks.

To make it simple: Do you have a smart phone or mobile tablet of some form? (Android or Apple). If so, they have “app” (application) stores: Google Play and the App Store respectively. Go to that store and search for “JSCAN” and download. The application will have what is called “in app purchases” which will allow you purchase the full suite of capabilities it is capable of.

The application itself is free, so you can do that right off the bat. But to get to most of the advanced (the ones that matter) features, you have to buy a license. It’s real easy as it will just bill to the credit card associated with the account for that store.

Now, in order to connect to the vehicle, you will need an adapter that plugs into the OBD-II port in your vehicle. If you don’t know what that is, just open the driver’s door and look under the dash to the left of the steering column. That is the source of communications to all the stuff folks are talking about.

In the JSCAN application, it references compatible devices- and even shows pictures. I’d highly recommend getting one of those. You can do all this before even buying a license, but you might as well because it’s dirt cheap for what it can do, and can save you a lot of hassle from getting taken by a shop or dealer for a repair.

The tricky part is getting the device to pair (kinda like pairing your phone to the Bluetooth of your vehicle’s infotainment system). Once you do it once, it will be connected IN THE APP, not via the Bluetooth section of your respective device. This is key as I had to show a buddy how to do this recently and it is counter intuitive to how it is done for other BT connections. Anyway, once you pair it once, you are set and when you open the application, you should be able to connect straight away after you plug the dongle in.

Then, learning how and where to do adjustments is something that will just take time to look and/or search here on the forum to see how to do it. It’s really quite easy and hard to dramatically screw things up, so as long as you follow the warnings posted in the application, you’ll be fine.
Thank you for a relatively understandable road map to another option. Appreciate your time!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Whats bluetooth OBD and license mean? Sorry I am special Ed.
No worries. The Bluetooth OBD is the reader. You can get one on Amazon for 15-20$ the license is just so you can use the JScan app with your Vin number you just pay it on the JScan app.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
I have another question, yall said once I calibrate it the shifting and all will be more on point but how does this effect my mileage as it is now. Once I calibrate will my mileage improve from the erroneous reading I am getting now and also over all mileage if I leave it uncalibrated are miles racking up more or less due to the larger tires. Thanks
If you install larger tires and don’t re-calibrate the Jeeps speedometer will read lower than actual and it will read fewer miles traveled than actual.
So, while the real mpg won’t change, re-calibration should make it seem like you are getting better mpg.
But more importantly, if you have the 5 speed automatic trans it will shift better.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So to give you an idea, for a speedometer to be off by 10MPH (60MPH indicated while actual speed is 70MPH) would require a tire change from a true 30” diameter tire to a true 35” diameter tire. If you drove your Jeep after this tire change for 100,000 miles (indicated), you would have actually travelled just over 116,000 miles. If your indicated MPG during that 100,000 miles was 17 MPG, your actual MPG would have been closer to 19.72 MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One more question. I dont know which transfer case I have. Seems like everyone is saying an A580. I drive a 2013 jk 2 door wrangler (6 speed) however it is a manual transmission so would it still be a A580? I personally dont like an auto trans in trucks or Jeeps. Thanks again guys!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts