Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4wd does not engage on the yj i just recently purchased, due to the actuator, surprised????? Any how i have been researching about the one piece axle swap to elimante the 2pc axle with the collar and fork. I have never pulled a axle before but im sure i can do it i just have a few questions. What tools will i need at the yard? Is the axle held in buy a c clip and what do you guys use to remove the clip? I have a local pull it yard close by loaded with xj s and very intrested in doin the swap and being done with it for the long run. If there is any thing else im missing please inform me it will be much appreciated. Also i will only need the passenger axle correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone lol. I have been doing some research but would like some info from some one thats done this.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Basic have tools, I don't know the sizes but sockets and ratchet. It's pretty simple to pull. I didn't have c clips in my shafts so I don't know about that. You'll also need a new passenger side seal napa part number 11800. I removed my carrier to install a locker and install the seal then.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just did this swap.
You need to pull the brakes off, pretty sure calipers are 13mm.
The wheel bearing hub assembly is 3 13mm 12pt bolts from the backside, bring a breaker bar, and short 1/2" drive socket.
You will need a 2lb hammer to knock the hubs out of the spindles.
Also, the axle shaft nut is 36mm, lots of torque, close to 150ft lbs holds it on.
You will also need a prybar to stop the axle from spinning while you crack the axle nut loose. You can put the pry bar through the yokes, near the u joints, and the prybar will rest against the axle housing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, do i have to anything special with the u joint or will it be the same as my driver side thats staying in place?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts