Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planning on building a tj on tons. I am looking at using super-duty axles. Meaning a Dana 60 and Sterling 10.25. I want to be able to run 40s or 42s but don't know how much lift I will need to acomadate the size and still flex. I am planning on building it on coils till I can afford a set of ORIs or Coilovers What lift kit or size would yall suggest for it?

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
the amount necessary to clear the tires when fully flexed. the project you are looking at will take a ton of fab work and custom steering/suspension work so the variables are far too great to give a simple answer. keeping the stock fender/flares? how much of a stretch are you doing? leaving the axles at full width?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barnes makes truss for the swap which also allow me to use lift kits made for the tj. I am going to go with aftermarket fenders front and rear. The axles are staying at the full width.My plan is to do as little of stretching needed because the tj will also be my daily.I know tons and 40s arent the best for a daily

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
I feel your plan is going to add a lot more issues than you anticipate and will not perform as well as you'd like. I am also looking on swapping axles and going to 40-44" tires but am looking at front and rear 9" axles with a rather large stretch and custom steering/suspension.

if you arent going with custom steering/suspension and keeping the stock wheelbase, you'd be better off, performance wise, with 35's, IMO

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
What year superdutys? An 05+ axle is wider than previous years, bigger tubes and more splines.

I'm not a TJ, but on my JK I'm going down in 1/2" in lift height compared to the stock D44. The D60 the spring perches are higher.

And like Ironhead said, plan on a lot more parts than you mentioned to make this thing thru to the end.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
My plan is to do as little of stretching needed because the tj will also be my daily. I know tons and 40s arent the best for a daily

You need to seriously rethink your plans

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your opinions. After a little bit of research, I'm going to end up stretching my tj. My plan is to do a 1 or 2-inch body lift along with a 6-inch lift. I have done a little more research into my axle setup as well. I haven't bought axles yet but m hoping to get 05+ axles. I am aware of companies like Steijeager that make 1-ton steering upgrades for my kind of build so I don't really have to worry about my steering. Now for the strength of the lift kit vs the tons will be a problem for later on. If I cant run 40s which I have a set to be able to test fit I will end up going to the 37 or 48 range. I don't exactly need the build done anytime so because I have a couple of years before I even meet the age restriction for local wheeling spots. What stretch kits are out there? I know of moto built but that's about the extent of my knowledge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts