Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 JL Willys - 4cyl Auto - StingGray
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just completed my first week in the new Willys in Sting Gray.
Love it!
Already took it hunting (no quarry :cautious:), installed the 2x .50 cal ammo cans locking storage on the rear tailgate, added MOPAR all-weather floor mats and an eBay rear cargo mat, added "1941" fender decals, started the DIY hard top headliner project, and a few other sundries.
Ride and road noise are not as bad as I was expecting.
Squeak and Rattle is superb! Even on rough/off roads.
So far, average shows as 18.7 MPG, mostly highway - 4 cylinder Turbo/Automatic.

Heated seats and steering wheel are coming in handy already! (can you set the outside temperature where these come on automatically on remote start? Or is that factory pre-set? It has come on if sitting outside in the 30's, but not if it's been sitting in the garage around 40 degrees)

A couple of observations/complaints/"first world problems" that I've noted since this is my first non-GM car, and I was surprised about the differences:
1) No delayed door locking feature! Not sure if this is available if I'd gotten the proximity locking option. But I really got used to the GM car's feature, where you hit the lock button on the door once after opening to exit, and it chimes, and then gives you ~15 seconds before it locks, to allow you to get around to the other doors to get your bags, kids, etc. before it locks. Now I need to leave the driver's door open, go to the rear door to get my laptop bag, come back to the front door, hit the lock and then close it.
2) I have the 7" screen infotainment system. In the GM systems, you can add favorite channels from any of the bands (AM/FM/XM) on the same favorite pages. With the JL, each favorite page is restricted to just one band. So I can't stack my "News/Sports" channels all on one page of favorites, as they are from AM, FM and XM.

(and no, I don't want any cheese to go with that whine!)

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
35 Posts
So....what's with the back doors? Does that make it Mall Rated?

Just kidding. Congrats on your new Jeep. I took delivery of my new Willy's on Nov 23.
2 Door so I took the back seat out. Got the ham radio and antenna installed today.
Have 200 miles on it! Hope it goes 200 THOUSAND miles.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sport - Firecracker Red
41 Posts
Current Willys package is really tempting me to trade my 2008 X in. Only have 96k on it and she runs great but there are certainly advantages to be gained trading it in. I'm a little old school and not a big fan of a lot of the tech they are cramming into new vehicles these days. The Willys Sport allows me to keep the roll up windows and manual locks as well as minimizing some of the other electronics. I also like the Rubicon shocks, rock rails and 32 inch tires. All that said, I am wondering about the MT tires. Do they have noticeable road noise that the AT tires would not have?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Current Willys package is really tempting me to trade my 2008 X in. Only have 96k on it and she runs great but there are certainly advantages to be gained trading it in. I'm a little old school and not a big fan of a lot of the tech they are cramming into new vehicles these days. The Willys Sport allows me to keep the roll up windows and manual locks as well as minimizing some of the other electronics. I also like the Rubicon shocks, rock rails and 32 inch tires. All that said, I am wondering about the MT tires. Do they have noticeable road noise that the AT tires would not have?
OIAJ, I agree with you on every point here! I plan on ordering a Willys Sport shortly, and for all the same reasons that you give here, mainly minimizing the (to me mostly annoying) electronic gizmos and "features" that I just find extraneous, distracting and useless. And I plan on disabling or eliminating some of the 'standard' ones, such as that ESS system and especially the tire pressure monitor system (are ANY of them NOT constantly glitchy and annoying?). Simpler is better!

·
Registered
736 Posts
PS: I was thrilled --- yes, THRILLED --- to discover that the Willys Sports still have roll-up windows available, at least into 2022! Why, some might ask? Well, if you lived in a climate where iced-up windows (which usually cannot be lowered with power windows, but usually can be 'jerked' open with the roll-down handle) are a regular experience for fully half of the year, you would not need to ask that question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Current Willys package is really tempting me to trade my 2008 X..... I also like the Rubicon shocks, rock rails and 32 inch tires. All that said, I am wondering about the MT tires. Do they have noticeable road noise that the AT tires would not have?
I was quite surprised how quiet these MT tires are considering how knobby they are. When they wear down the story might be different. The radio also has an automatic audio gain feature that increases volume with vehicle speed. Gimmick? Sure, but its just a software feature, not a hardware item to break.

Enjoy your forthcoming Willys!

Happy Trails

·
Registered
877 Posts
Road noise is not bad on the MT's until you rotate them, then they are super loud for about a month.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was quite surprised how quiet these MT tires are considering how knobby they are. When they wear down the story might be different. The radio also has an automatic audio gain feature that increases volume with vehicle speed. Gimmick? Sure, but its just a software feature, not a hardware item to break.

Enjoy your forthcoming Willys!

Happy Trails
I had a 84 Honda Goldwing motorcycle had the radio gets louder when speed increases radio. Nice to see Chysler is finally catching up.lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
@BergerboyJL: sorry to read about the hunting bust. If FCA had an option for a front mount corn feed spreader and a external speaker that plays deer hunting calls through a USB port I would jump on that option in a heartbeat. Im just saying Willys Sport is good bang for the Buck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts