Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horn on steering wheel hasn't worked since I got it. PO installed a push button. No big deal, just a pain to reach.
Decided today to fix stock horn. Took it apart to find rust under flex plate. After a little clean up, I tied in old wiring and the thing works. So happy with myself, I loaded up and off to the junk yard for a little scouting. :dance: Now every time I use the right turn signal, my horn will beep.:banghead: If I hold the turn signal for a lane change it will sound until I let off, just as if the horn button was pushed. Will take apart tomorrow for a look, maybe a nick in a wire. I've had a lot of fun with this old jeep but the goofy stuff that happens to it never ceases to amaze me. :facepalm:

·
Registered
104 Posts
one of my buddies at work ran a jumper wire from the left turn signal to the horn on another buddies truck to mess with him. It's pretty funny when it happens to someone else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Haha that sucks !! Cool you got your horn fixed tho. I dislike oem horns . There not aggressive enough . If someones cutting me off, there gonna know it. Have my ob air comp. And train horns in soon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I found the problem. The screw that mounts the T/S lever to the switch was stripped out, allowing the bracket to wobble. Every time the right T/S was used, the bracket and screw would move up into the T/S canceling cam making the horn sound. Replaced mounting screw (don't think the one in there was original) and all is fine now. Horn only blows when the button is pushed, not when I make right turns. This was just too funny not to post. So I am now anxiously awaiting my next YJ adventure.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice job tracking it down and fixing the problem.

Now that you've tackled a YJ wiring problem, the next step is an early '70s Jaguar or some other English make (Triumph, Lotus...) with lots of electrical parts sourced from Lucas. I'm convinced that the reason the English drink warm beer is because Lucas makes refrigerators.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been out of town working for a few days. Took Jeep to town yesterday and the horn would sound just driving down the road. Long beeps, short beeps, several or one at a time. Any clues what would cause this?
Installing carpet in my S-10 today, I will look into steering column tomorrow(I can take it apart in no time now days). Had planed to replace rubber on roll-over valve anyway, found it laying on the ground. Yea!!

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
it has to be something with the small plunger part and the plate that it rides on directly under the wheel...

I'll bet if you turn the key on and crank the wheel left to right you can get it to beep. Not sure what, but I had the same problem after I put a custom wheel in. I ended up removing the wire and am going w/a push button by my left foot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts