Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a mistake and now I am in a sorry mood.
I was installing decals on my hood.
Passenger side went good, drivers side I was just about ready to apply the lettering when I dropped one end and it immediately adhered itself to the hood way out of position, I destroyed the decal pealing it back off.
So when I calm down I will have to re-order it.
Anyway, this is what it is suppose to look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I made a mistake and now I am in a sorry mood. I was installing decals on my hood. Passenger side went good, drivers side I was just about ready to apply the lettering when I dropped one end and it immediately adhered itself to the hood way out of position, I destroyed the decal pealing it back off. So when I calm down I will have to re-order it. Anyway, this is what it is suppose to look like.
Well, that side at least looks awesome. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's why you use soapy water in a squirt bottle on the decal and hood at the same time. It does look good! One small question though... Why does the word Intruder have a silver outline and the other is black? IMHO it would look better matching

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
That side looks excellent!

That wouldn't be A6 Intruder would it by any chance?

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's why you use soapy water in a squirt bottle on the decal and hood at the same time. It does look good! One small question though... Why does the word Intruder have a silver outline and the other is black? IMHO it would look better matching
The insignia is outlined in black but the word "Intruder" is shadowed not outlined.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
X2 on soapy water or water with rubbing alcohol works too. just makes it easy to slide decal around and easy to get all air bubbles out. that is how the professionals get decals on.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I made a mistake and now I am in a sorry mood.
I was installing decals on my hood.
Passenger side went good, drivers side I was just about ready to apply the lettering when I dropped one end and it immediately adhered itself to the hood way out of position, I destroyed the decal pealing it back off.
So when I calm down I will have to re-order it.
Anyway, this is what it is suppose to look like.
Are you taking off all the backside of the decal before placing? I'd place the decal, with backing on, where you want it then run a piece of tape vertically to hold it in place. Then raise one end, peel the backing off and cut that piece of backing off and lay the decal down. Do same on other end. If you already know this ignore!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The insignia is outlined in black but the word "Intruder" is shadowed not outlined.
Yes, the outlining in the insignia is part of the insignia, the letters have drop shadows, the picture doesn't show the shadowing as well as it really looks.
I did get the insignia on OK on the drivers side, I could have salvaged most of the lettering as well, 1 letter stuck and the next was damaged when I tried to get the first letter loose. I decided to just reorder the whole word.
I will definitely use soapy water on the next attempt, I normally do when installing vinyl graphics.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I bet it'll look sweet once you're done though!

I ordered some decals from Vinyl Disorder and received them today. Their instructions say to put it on using the dry method but I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing it the wet way so I can make sure it's placed right. Anyone know a good reason to NOT use the wet method?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Yep, VA-42 was an A6 squadron stationed in Virgina Beach.
We had mostly A6E and one KA6D
I worked on A6 s for 4 years VMA 332 and Vma 533 schooled at Oceana VA, and Millington TN, Cherry Point, Yuma, Iwakuni, 29 stumps, and Kwang Ju.

Fine Aircraft, J52s and 50 K bomb load amazing capabilities

Very honorable name for a Jeep that also has quite the heritage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts