Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change out factory trac lok carrier with a new open carrier 3.92 up in order to put in a lunch box locker. Heres the problem....

Bought new carrier, spacers and bearings.

Put the locker in and all is ready, however the carriers "open vs trac lok" dont match up when putting the ring gear back on. Ring gear sits about a quarter inch to far towards the middle "drivers side" to line up in the pumpkin.

So, is there a different carrier that will fit or do i need a new ring gear "skinnier" or not as thick.

Please help, i have a rubicon trip in 3 days that may be cancelled if i cant figure it out. Not to mention it is my daily.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
You probably need to adjust/change shims due to the new carrier until you reach the backlash and gear pattern you had before you removed the previous carrier. If you don't know how to do this, your best bet is probably to take the axle down to a gear guy to set it up properly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a quarter of an inch off, doubt that i can shim/backlash that much. The carrier is already tight as hell, no way to shim it a quarter inch to the passenger side.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think i found the solution. Chime n if you know.

I bought a 3.92 and up carrier,but because iam runnng a thicker ring gear i need the 3.73 carrier instead?

Or buy a thin ring and pinion set?

I believe the standard set up for a danna 44 is 3.73 using a carrier between 3.07-3.73 and the Rubicon is 4.10 using a carrier between 3.92-5.89

Anyone know if this is correct?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yes you are correct. You have the wrong carrier is why you are running into such a drastic difference.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Thanks for the help, will be picking up the right carrier after work, then back to it :)
You'll be much happier with the results. :D

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Good deal, glad to hear it came out okay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts